Worth it to Upgrade?

chonger91

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
I currently have a 2010 macbook pro 13". I'm looking to upgrade as its become a bit sluggish. I feel like I could get something better without spending a fortune. I found an upgraded Dell E6540 on craigslist for $450. Should I go for it? Would I expect to see much improvement?

My macbook has 2.4ghz processor, 4gb ram. 250gb 5200rpm hdd, and dwindling battery life.

The Dell has a fourth Gen i7 processor, 16gb ram, 2gb discreet graphics card, 500gb ssd, and 9 cell battery.

On paper, it looks like a considerable improvement. I don't know much about PCs tho so thought I'd ask.

Solution
If you're not intimated by the idea of opening up your Macbook, there are cheaper options available to you. For one thing, switching out your HDD for an SSD will give you a dramatic boost. A 250GB SSD is roughly $100, depending on brand. Of course, this will mean reinstalling OSX as well. A replacement battery is also fairly easy to get, although Apple ones tend to be rather expensive.
If you're not intimated by the idea of opening up your Macbook, there are cheaper options available to you. For one thing, switching out your HDD for an SSD will give you a dramatic boost. A 250GB SSD is roughly $100, depending on brand. Of course, this will mean reinstalling OSX as well. A replacement battery is also fairly easy to get, although Apple ones tend to be rather expensive.

Solution