Worth upgrading slow Vista laptop to Windows 7 Pro?

giovase

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hi everyone!

I have a quite old HP Pavilion DV9000 equipped with a slow Intel Core 2 T5500 CPU @ 1.66GHz, with 2GB RAM that I understand cannot be increased further.
The laptop was equipped with two 100GB HD, a primary and a secondary one, and I swapped both, with a Corsair Force GT 120GB as primary, boot drive, plus a WD 500GB for storage.

The question is that it's becoming quite slow even if I clean up software crap often, and even if is indeed clean also phisically, with no dust nor else blocking the vent, the vent is always spinning and dissipating a lot of heath - moreike a vacuum cleaner than a PC...
I was wondering if it's worth upgrading it to Windows 7 Pro as I have an unused licence for it.
Please keep in mind this would be m kids laptop, mostly for internet browsing and writing short Word docs...

thanks a lot in advance for your expert advice
Giovanni

giovase

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

That's right, I wasn't thinking about it.
Do you refer to all drivers or some specific ones?

Giovanni

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
The drivers that are required by your hardware in the laptop. If you go to the support site for your laptop and look for Windows 7 drivers and if they offer a complete set of drivers, then id think it would be safe to install 7. It might run faster but dont expect miracles on hardware that came with Vista on it.

Nickogreek

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
I have the HP for 9 years now! Switched to WIN 7 64bit and upgraded to 4GB RAM. All drivers are available and there was no problem after I have installed them. The thing runs great with no problems whatsoever.

Highly advisable!

I am looking into an SSD now that will greatly improve it and possibly an upgradein the CPU to a T8x00 core2 model...

This is STILL a great machine to own for everyday or business use...not so much for current games! too slow for that!

Have fun doing it and store the drivers that you can EASILY find with a google search!