Worthy headphone upgrade

ikissfutebol

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I currently have Logitech's audio brand UE 4000 headphones that I couple with the free Razer Synapse software while using my motherboards. I would prefer over-ear headphones for when I'm playing games and not on-ear, like the UE4000. After doing a bit of research, it seems pretty clear to me that, for my needs, my mobo's on-board sound card will be more than sufficient. The question I guess is if there is something realistically on par with the UE4000 in the $50 price range that is over-ear? I find these are on par with the $200+ Beats I've heard at Best Buy. I realize picking out headphones is a rather individual task, too - very much personal preference.

I have actually been looking at the Logitech G430's for a while and heard them once at Best Buy. It's just that, based on what I've read and seen on youtube, unless I need a microphone (I don't), that gaming headphones aren't priced evenly with audio headphones of equal quality - gaming headsets have a 'gamer tax' to them. Granted I have not been really looking at Best Buy or Target's headphone selection, but I find that their selection you can actually try out is all super expensive - I'm looking at $50 tops. When I look on Amazon, the ones that are highly rated are all brands I've literally never heard of in my life. Obviously I'm not exactly a huge audio geek, but I do enjoy hearing high quality sound.

So I guess what things should I look at online or spec-wise? Do people agree that headphones mostly used for single player games and not recording/streaming that I should forego a set with a built in microphone?

What are thoughts on:
Audiotechnica ATH m20x
Audiotechnica ATH m30x
Sennheiser HD 205 II
Sennheiser HD 202-II

Thanks!

Solution
As an owner of the original ATH M30, I'd like to think the M30x would be a worthy purchase, especially for the low, low cost of $65 MSRP. My only concern are the earcups since the material they're made of isn't comfortable to everyone, nor is the clamping force of the headbands, although both will need time to break in anyway. Personally, I think my ATH M30 sounds better than a lot of other headphones out there that cost 2x to 4x as much, from reputable companies like Pioneer and Sony and Sennheiser, to 100% verified garbage like Beats and the vast majority of Skullcandy. (side note, the original skullcandy titans were actually really good. better than similarly priced sennheiser earphones anyway.)

I wouldn't bother with the m20x...

amtseung

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
As an owner of the original ATH M30, I'd like to think the M30x would be a worthy purchase, especially for the low, low cost of $65 MSRP. My only concern are the earcups since the material they're made of isn't comfortable to everyone, nor is the clamping force of the headbands, although both will need time to break in anyway. Personally, I think my ATH M30 sounds better than a lot of other headphones out there that cost 2x to 4x as much, from reputable companies like Pioneer and Sony and Sennheiser, to 100% verified garbage like Beats and the vast majority of Skullcandy. (side note, the original skullcandy titans were actually really good. better than similarly priced sennheiser earphones anyway.)

I wouldn't bother with the m20x, since they use the same frame as the m30x, but inferior drivers, and costs nearly as much. Audio Technica, in general, tends to make audio equipment that sounds twice as good as their competitors for half the cost. I don't know how they do it. I think the m30x is on sale for $55 right now on Amazon for some absurdly low price.

I've never tried those particular Sennheisers.

My money's still on the M30X though.

Solution