Solved! Would adding memory to the G73JH hurt performance?

tmt345

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
i just bought the best buy version of the G73JH ($1200 one) and it came with 3 2GB sticks of memory and i was looking to add another 2gb one for a total of 8gb of memory but i read that it would do more harm than good because the core i7 is supposed to be running on tri channel memory. is this correct?

if it would be good to add another 2gb of memory would this memory work properly?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148316&cm_re=204-Pin_DDR3_SO-DIMM-_-20-148-316-_-Product

thanks

Solution
It would be correct if the Core i7 was a desktop part and running on an X58 socket 1366 motherboard.

The mobile Core i7s are dual channel memory CPUs and run on dual channel HM55 chipset (socket PGA988) laptop motherboards.
I don't believe going to 8GB RAM will improve performance. In fact you might get slightly better performance going with just 4GB of RAM.
But the very slight difference one way or another wouldn't be worth the trouble.
It would be correct if the Core i7 was a desktop part and running on an X58 socket 1366 motherboard.

The mobile Core i7s are dual channel memory CPUs and run on dual channel HM55 chipset (socket PGA988) laptop motherboards.
I don't believe going to 8GB RAM will improve performance. In fact you might get slightly better performance going with just 4GB of RAM.
But the very slight difference one way or another wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Solution