Would like any possible help with my laptop internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is there any way someone can please help me with internet connection problems with my Laptop? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'll admit I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to computer/tech stuff. I've tried lots of troubleshooting methods on my own without any luck. At this point I'm either not understanding the instructions and/or am afraid of screwing things up even more by doing something incorrectly.

I have Windows Vista on both my desktop & laptop. My desktop computer (that I am currently using) works pretty well as far as an internet connection goes.
My laptop was able to sporadically have a good internet connection in the past, except for this past week it has not picked up my network at all.
I'd be glad to give more info. if someone is interested in helping me. Just let me know what info. would be useful. (I updated some information in a post below)

My apologies if I am using incorrect 'Lingo' or am unable to understand the computer/tech 'Lingo'. Explanations in 'Laymans Terms' would be helpful.
Btw, is there a reason I get a "Page Not Found- 404" message when I attempt to Privately Message someone?

Thanks everyone! Go easy on me. I'm new to this site. :??:

G

:bounce: I'm still in need of help. :bounce: Anyone think they can try to help me? Thanks in advance.

The laptop is kind of old.. Toshiba Satellite A200 Series. I don't know a whole lot about it because it was passed down to me. I'm not sure what other information would be useful?

I don't know much about routers/modems either. As of right now I can tell you I have:
"NetGear Wireless Router" - "Motorola Modem"- Internet Service Provider is "Comcast"

I can get more information; I just need to know where to look/how to find it.

G

Yellow exclamation for: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device

Network Adapters: Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

*No exclamation by the network adapters

G

Not sure if this is helpful, but when I turn the computer on there is a notification that comes up which says "Could Not Connect All Network Drives". When I click on the notification to see what it is- there is something that is under Network Location (2) : My Documents.... Disconnected Network Drive.

It says Wireless Networks are available and shows a bunch of Networks when I try to connect, but it does not show MY Network. I'm right by the router/modem.

I've tried the unplugging/turning off, waiting a couple minutes, plugging back in, restarting, etc.. multiple times.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Do any of your devices connect to your network? If the drivers are loaded and working and everything else is turned on, the issue might be with the router. DHCP turned on, wireless turned on, etc? I'm not sure off all the things to check, maybe reset it back to factory specs?

Edit: If you do the reset make sure you know your login info if you need any. The reset will make it forget its user : pass info.

G

Thank you again for taking the time to try to help me/answer my posts.
I've been reading articles attempting to understand the DHCP. Everything I read seems to 'run together' for me because there are so many acronyms/ abbreviations used for things internet-related. :/ I swear I've been reading the same stuff over and over again. I thought about trying to reset the router back to factory settings. I attempted to do so the other day but realized I needed the Username and Password. Sooo I've been trying to read up on where to find it or how to get into it if it was changed from the default. Idk if I can remember the info. or where I'd have it written down.

Today I decided to try logging onto another 'unsecure' network that was 'allowed'. That worked, so I've been copying info./instructions to WordPerfect so I can refer to it if/when I don't get a connection. Tryin' to be pro-active!

Ok, so a strange thing happened since I've been connected to the internet through this other network- for the first time in like a week MY network actually came up. It showed that the signal strength was excellent (also something it has done in the past), it allowed me to connect to it for a minute or so, but then stopped working because 'low/no signal or connectivity'.
Any idea as to why the signal strength will say it is 'excellent' but I'll still have a problem staying connected/getting a signal?

Also, where can I find the Security Type, Encryption Type, and Security Key/Paraphrase on my desktop computer (which usually does well with the internet connection, and is the one connected to the modem) just in case I'm entering something wrong?

Maybe a better question would be- What is the simplest/best way to 'reset' everything so that I can get the internet working again for both my Desktop PC and my Laptop? How can I get everything to communicate properly?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I'm thinking it degrades. I remember back in the day you'd have to reset the router every now and then. Might as well do the modem as well. Usually just means turn off and then back on. Has this been done recently?

Model number on the netgear router? You can try this if you can't find it. Push the reset button and this SHOULD be the login info.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148/~/default-password-for-netgear-devices

Solution
G

474545b-
Ok, crazy thing... for whatever reason the Network actually decided to show up this afternoon and I've been able to use my laptop for a few hours now with no interruptions. (crossing fingers) I'm scared to get my hopes up. I can't figure out what makes it work PERFECTLY one day, and then I won't get any signal for a week+, same room/distance, using the same methods as far as I can tell, etc...

Next time it quits on me (which it will without a doubt) I'll check out the link/advise you gave me. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.