Would my PC work well with VR? Is SLI ok with it?

Shaun_6

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
I was told my machine is a bit to old for VR, and that sli doesn't work great with it? Here's the specs. What do you guys think? (I just copy and pasted out of the for sale ad)

Motherboard: Asus ROG X79 Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011

CPU: 6 core Intel I7 Sandy Bridge-E 3970x 3.5Ghz @4.7Ghz water cooled

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300w g2 (fully modular)

GPU: 3 way sli 6Gb GTX Titans @965mhz water cooled.

RAM: 32gb quad channel ddr3 1866mhz Gskill Ripjawz

Case: Azza 9000w

Hard Drives: 1x Samsung 840 pro 256Gb SSD, 1x Seagate 2Tb HDD

CPU Cooling Loop: Swiftech H20-220 240mm radiator, Apogee HD waterblock, 12mm ID solid acrylic clear tubing running distilled water with Mayhems pink UV dye and A silver kill coil.

GPU Cooling Loop: XSPC RX240mm V3 Radiator, Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir, 3x Kryographics, nickel plated, acrylic glass edition waterblocks and a 3 way Kryoconnect kit by Aqua Computer. 12mm ID solid acrylic clear tubing running distilled water with Mayhems Clear Blue UV dye and a silver kill coil.

Solution
Current SLI uses Alternate-Frame Rendering. This doesn't work with VR. And it increases Latency. The only logical approach would be to give each eye it's own GPU, but the GPU's don't see VR like that. It sees one screen, with 2 viewpoints. So it would have to be coded into the game that each view point is rendered on a separate GPU. It would basically turn your computer into an 'internal' 2 computer system where you're playing two versions of the same game, but with one input. Start to see where the problems arise?

Shaun_6

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015

I thought Nvidia updated it's SLI support for the oculus months ago with the 361.43 driver being the first 'VR SLI' capable driver?

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I think Oculus is NOT compatible with sli.
Having said that, most min spec are saying ~GTX 970 and i5-4590 (you could also google that).
If you can run 100+ @ 1080, you should be fine with VR.

I would hope it's only a matter of time before sli comes to vr. Seems like the perfect platform for it.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Current SLI uses Alternate-Frame Rendering. This doesn't work with VR. And it increases Latency. The only logical approach would be to give each eye it's own GPU, but the GPU's don't see VR like that. It sees one screen, with 2 viewpoints. So it would have to be coded into the game that each view point is rendered on a separate GPU. It would basically turn your computer into an 'internal' 2 computer system where you're playing two versions of the same game, but with one input. Start to see where the problems arise?

Solution