Would these headphones (would this headphone?) require a dac/amp?

William Norberg

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hi, im thinking of getting the Shure SRH840, which are of a low impedance (44 Ohm), which means that they should be easy to be driven by my pc (onboard z97 crystal 2 sound) and my samsung s6. But will i really milk out every single dropplet of sound out of these without a dac/amp?

And if i do need additional equipment to drive them, what should i get? (soundcard or some external solution that'll work both for listening on my phone and on my computer)

I can get them for 1500 swedish kronor ( = 174 USD, 150 Euro, 113 Pounds, 21175 yen) so if there are any other headphones that are better for the same price, please tell me aswell.

William Norberg

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Depends. Pop, rock, metal, 80's, punk, indie, house etc... i dont think one of them is better than any other, and i listen to all of them. But what i tend to listen to is electronic, indie rock and drum/bass.

The bass doesn't need to be extreme. As long as i hear and feel it good enough it is fine. Mids and highs are more important.

P.s: piano/classic is important for me

To get the most at of any quality headphone for PC music use an outboard DAC/headphone amp is the best way to go. Which one will depend on the headphones and your budget. The Schiite products offer excellent value.
http://schiit.com/
Cambridge Audio is also very good,
You could post your question at headfi.org for more input.