Would you recommend the Canon t7i or SL2 for a beginner photographer/videograper?

Serenity_3

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Hello -

I am looking to get into photography and videography and I am looking for a good, not too expensive DSLR to shoot photos and footage.

I love how the SL2 is very lightweight, however, I would like to photograph moving subjects. The SL2 only has nine focal points - is this something to worry about?

The t6i also seemed like a good option for me, but its incapability to shoot time-lapse footage turned me away.

Lastly, is it reliable to buy a DSLR refurbished?

Thanks,
LC

Solution
For photography there are many good choices. I currently favor Nikon over Canon, but Canon's took nice photos for me back when I owned them.

For videography, I would not recommend any DSLR unless you are prepared for extra work. They simply do not focus as fast or track moving subjects as well in video as mirrorless cameras do. See if you can find a price on a used Panasonic GH3 or GH4. Look at shutter count. But from a reputable source. Amazon and KEH.com are reliable. Ebay and craigslist are riskier but the right price might make it worth it.

bjornl

Estimable
For photography there are many good choices. I currently favor Nikon over Canon, but Canon's took nice photos for me back when I owned them.

For videography, I would not recommend any DSLR unless you are prepared for extra work. They simply do not focus as fast or track moving subjects as well in video as mirrorless cameras do. See if you can find a price on a used Panasonic GH3 or GH4. Look at shutter count. But from a reputable source. Amazon and KEH.com are reliable. Ebay and craigslist are riskier but the right price might make it worth it.

Solution