WP7 Prevents Hacks via ''Genuine Software''

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Is this good or bad?[/citation]Is having the hardware you bought locked out at the whim of the manufacturer a good thing? Would you like that with your car?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]CrazeEAdrian[/nom]Just another challenge for the crackers which they will find a way to overcome.[/citation]

This one seems to be a bit more secure than even the PC based one. The PC based WGA uses hardware for its verification. It has a 10 point system which includes CPU, Memory, Mobo, HDD, NIC MAC Address and a few others. On first install you get 10/10. If you reinstall on the same hardware you get 7/10 (the HDD, NIC and MAC address change dropping 3 points) which is the lowest you can get to pass WGA without having to call in.

This instead has specialized codes on the hardware itself which means that cracking it will be much harder.

I don't doubt they can do it but I doubt it will be as easy as Android, PC Windows or even iOS.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Is having the hardware you bought locked out at the whim of the manufacturer a good thing? Would you like that with your car?[/citation]
Have you tried to service a new car?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
is the WP7 OS validating a genuine hardware/motherboard source? if the HW doesn't contain the key, like the HTC device, then some services are crippled. why not just validate the HW first. if it's not legit, don't allow WP7 OS to be installed.

G

What happens when for some reason the genuine annoyance kicks in and you can't call 911 anymore and what if you really needed to call 911 at that time? Well you died and since you died you are no longer around to sue m$ for it. What happens when some people in another country get mad about this and try to egg ballmer for it the next time he goes to their country to make a stupid speech? Will he try to call 911 for that? Will it actually work lol?

Who buys a phone with windows on it? windows is bad enough on pc already! It is a phone for crying out loud! This is exactly why I hate cell phones:-(

G

This is a negative? If you're not trying to hack or break the TOS, then you don't need to worry. Microsoft doesn't often randomly ban honest users.

God forbid a company protect its assets.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]This one seems to be a bit more secure than even the PC based one. The PC based WGA uses hardware for its verification. It has a 10 point system which includes CPU, Memory, Mobo, HDD, NIC MAC Address and a few others. On first install you get 10/10. If you reinstall on the same hardware you get 7/10 (the HDD, NIC and MAC address change dropping 3 points) which is the lowest you can get to pass WGA without having to call in.This instead has specialized codes on the hardware itself which means that cracking it will be much harder.I don't doubt they can do it but I doubt it will be as easy as Android, PC Windows or even iOS.[/citation]
True I tricked WPA (and WGA) on 2 PC motherboard replacements.One of them was even a different socket type.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
As far as I am concerned they should make this public knowledge. If I am making a new phone purchase then it's only fair you give me the facts before I buy. Android doesn't have this "feature".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS