Writing laptop under $500 cdn?

Will Reierson

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I'm looking for a laptop that is pretty much strictly for writing and under 500 dollars canadian. My tower is located downstairs with the router, and its dark as hell down here during much of the day so headaches from screen glare are not uncommon.
Because I'm from Canada, everything is super bleeding expensive even at the most moderate specs. I've read good things about Lenovo's keyboards, but the cheapest Lenovo I can find that's running intel is stuck down at an i3 with 4 gig of ram.
While I realize I'm just writing on the thing, the ability to multitask is important. When I'm writing, I usually have iTunes open in conjunction with word, a web browser with multiple tabs at once, and some form of notepad. Who knows, maybe I could get by with an i3 and 4 gigs of ram. I just don't want to be waiting ten seconds every time I want to open a folder.

jbaker22

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Asus makes good quality computers like this.https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N855J9220&cm_re=asus-_-34-234-154-_-Product

PC advisor recommends it. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/budget-laptops/asus-x555la-review-3621086/

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Sorry to hear you are in Canada. (Just Kidding). Based on what your needs are, I think the ASUS recommended above will be a good value. Personally, I never like using the built in keyboards on a laptop, but you can buy a cheap usb keyboard and even a cheap monitor to connect to the laptop, so you can have 2 screens for multi-tasking.

jbaker22

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Will has a desktop I believe portablity is the reason he wants a laptop.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I got the impression that he just wanted to work in a different part of the house with better lighting. Even so, adding a USB keyboard would still make the laptop portable. Second monitor, a little less so.

Will Reierson

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for this. I saw it on Amazon but had trouble finding any decent reviews on it. I'll go with that, and if its a bit slow I can always (in theory) chuck some more ram in there. Again, thanks for the help, both of you.