WSJ: Apple Testing Smaller iPad; AT&T, VZN to Get iPad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]lol...and they thought the 7-8" Android ones were too small and no one needed a small one :)[/citation]
Steve died, now they don't need to listen to him anymore. Now Apple can go on with milking their customer's wallets and pay less attention to stevie's ideologies.

Wow... that was awfully negative what I pointed out there....

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
smaller iPad? i tough they were the ones who said that a smaller tablet is useless, that the standard size should be higher than 9.7"...

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
It would be hilarious if the competition turned around and sued them for making a tablet with a screen size similar to theirs. :p

Obviously that would never happen because the competition is smarter than that - they have better things to do like innovate rather than filing lawsuits left and right.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Why do I get the feeling that Apple will advertise the smaller iPad as innovative and as a advancement and actually charge more for it than the larger model.

I suppose it is good for the consumer however as some people prefer smaller tablets.
So, Jane whats your preferred size? Errm for tablets of course.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
A smaller iPad would have never happened with Steve Jobs sill around.... unless this is part of the whole "fight against Android to the last bullet" thing.

What people want are lighter and bigger tablets, not smaller and cheaper.
A 11"-13" tablet with the same weight as current tablets would be awesome.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]egidem[/nom]It would be hilarious if the competition turned around and sued them for making a tablet with a screen size similar to theirs. Obviously that would never happen because the competition is smarter than that - they have better things to do like innovate rather than filing lawsuits left and right.[/citation]

It would 'never happen' because the lawsuit against Samsung had nothing to do with the 'size' of the device.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Steve died, now they don't need to listen to him anymore. Now Apple can go on with milking their customer's wallets and pay less attention to stevie's ideologies.Wow... that was awfully negative what I pointed out there....[/citation]

I think a number of you are correct to say that a smaller form factor would go against what Apple (specifically Steve Jobs) has said in the past.

However, lets remember it's not even a rumoured device launch - just rumoured testing.

It may be that the new CEO doesn't agree with Jobs' philosophy which has proved to be very successful. Diversifying your product line can sometimes be counter productive, for a few reasons:

1 - Fewer economies of scale (smaller device will need some different parts.
2 - The smaller model will be cheaper so there may be a net loss in revenue if someone who would have previously bought the larger one decides on the smaller one.
3 - If you broaden your range too much it can confuse mainstream customers, the fact that there's always been only '1' new iPhone or iPad at any time makes it very easy for them to be comfortable in their choice.
4 - Device support - everything has to work on both devices which may have different resolutions / hardware - may not be a problem if the smaller version uses the same resolution as the iPad 2. Samsung had this problem with the original Tab, they failed to keep the resolutions consistent which made developing much harder than it should have been.
5 - Accessories - the reason iPhone and iPad accessories are so easy to create and popular is that they have a single model to target, meaning a better choice of accessories for these devices.

Of course, I'm pointing out why diversifying could potentially be bad for Apples profits (although of course it could be beneficial too if done right). For the customers, surely having more choice is nearly always a good thing.

If this does happen it could be the first sign that Tim Cook is tweaking Apple's trajectory.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Steve died, now they don't need to listen to him anymore. Now Apple can go on with milking their customer's wallets and pay less attention to stevie's ideologies.Wow... that was awfully negative what I pointed out there....[/citation]

Stevie's ideologies also included milking customers.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]A smaller iPad would have never happened with Steve Jobs sill around.... unless this is part of the whole "fight against Android to the last bullet" thing.What people want are lighter and bigger tablets, not smaller and cheaper.A 11"-13" tablet with the same weight as current tablets would be awesome.[/citation]
I have to disagree with you. YOU might want a bigger tablet, rather than a smaller cheaper one, but the kind fire sold like hotcakes because smaller cheaper is EXACTLY what they wanted. Now I personally was very close to buying a fire because it's exactly the size I'm looking for as well, but it's lacking features for me. The 7" Galaxy Tab was close as well but was also missing some features that stopped it for being perfect. So I'm waiting for the Transformer Prime 7" to come out.

7" is large enough to read a book on comfortably rather than squinting at my phone, while staying much more portable and easier to carry around than a large 10" and above tablet. with a full size tablet, I feel like I'd need a man-purse or something to bring it around with me. 7" will probably fit in my jacket pocket. And with the Transformer Prime being a Tegra 3, it will have all the power I need to do just about anything.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Sad thing is...they're still suing everyone left and right -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.