WSJ: Galaxy Nexus to Sell for $299.99 on 2-year Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
"Would you pay $300 for a phone that comes bundled with a two-year contract?"

I find it funny you don't ask the same kind of question to iPhone buyers.

G

Not when the Galaxy S2 is at 200 dollars (or much less) on sale

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Unfortuantely yes since this is a Nexus phone. The rooting capabilities and updates directly from google versus from Verizon are worth it to me.

But considering how much money they make off the contract, $299 seems awfully high.

G

Sure. Why not. I don't have anything better to do with my money.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Wow, pricing it $100 more than the iPhone? LOL?

Did they not look at the sales charts and see that two of the top three selling phones last quarter were iPhones, and the third top selling phone was on a carrier that didn't carry the iPhone?

This thing is going to be a colossal flop. What a joke.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
If I had the money I would probably buy one, but after seeing that thread about the ASUS phone that has Nvidias Tegra 3, I would be more inclined to go for that. My only question is, how does the galaxy stand up in comparison to the Iphone? From raw power, browser speeds, battery life, app store, and durability.

I mention the Iphone, because it seems to set standards for smartphones. I like my Itouch, but I don't see the point of buying an Itouch with calling capabilities, and 3g connectivity. Just my opinion.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Considering on contract ends up being like $30 more a month, and a smart phone already costs and average of 1k a year. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to ask $300 on subsidy. I absolutely would not buy it with a 2 year contract.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Shell out 300 plus all the contract fees , and be pissed when the next model comes out and u won't get Android 5.0 :) Buying a top of the line phone is a waste of money in my opinion, u can get the job done with a cheaper model that will get the same " so last Thursday's " treatment as your shinny expensive start.

Side note : This model hasn't been off to a great start, delayed inventory, voice issues. I like Android , i own a droid phone but this one does't inspire confidence to me.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I got mine in the UK on a 2 year contract, £37 per month and no charge for the handset. Won't it just be similar to that in the US and Canada?

Side note : This model hasn't been off to a great start, delayed inventory, voice issues. I like Android , i own a droid phone but this one does't inspire confidence to me.
The sound issues were fixed a few days ago via a large update.

neuromancer2701

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
$299 is the new norm for LTE phones. 3G phones are still available at $199.
The fact that Verizon got Google to remove/withhold Google Wallet for "security concerns" is frustrating.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]"Would you pay $300 for a phone that comes bundled with a two-year contract?"I find it funny you don't ask the same kind of question to iPhone buyers.[/citation]
As previous owner of an iPhone3G and current iPhone4 user, I wouldnt pay $300 for it.. Both my iPhones were $199 with the contract and I wouldnt pay more than that.. If I was buying a phone today, I would get the Skyrocket on ATT for $179 through Amazon..

Status
Not open for further replies.