WTB Notebook w/fingerprint scanner for <500$

darius_n

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I'm wondering if folks know of a netbook that exists which meets my criteria. I've tried looking for a few review sites that might indicate what type of laptop/netbook I'm looking for but I'm having a very difficult time finding the type of netbook that suits my needs.

Price Criteria:
I had a max budget in mind of ~500$ for my purchase.

Hardware Criteria:
I am looking for a netbook sized "laptop", so 10-12".
I want a fingerprint scanner for security/login purposes.
I would like it to have 6+ hours of durability because I plan on it not being plugged in.
I would like it to be lightweight and durable.
I do not need an optical drive
It needs to have a webcam and wifi
I'm hoping to find something with >1GB ram. I'm weary that having 1 GB ram will end up sluggish (I already have 4 in my desktop and want 8+)

Software Critiera:
I will not be playing games
I will be using it for video conferencing my family/work while away overseas.
I will be using it mainly for productivity reasons - mainly Microsoft Office products like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook
I would probably use it to play music into some headphones while working on it

Other factors:
Now, I really don't know the difference between the ATOM processor, the new i3,i5, or Duo Core processors and what they imply when it comes to a netbook. I also am hesitant to purchase products from ACER because quite frankly - I get the impression that acer products are sub-quality products. I also can't stand the pre-loaded junk that HP or Dell installs on a system. But that opinion about the distributors is based on bad experiences with desktop products. I really don't know anything when it comes to netbooks, and honestly if an ACER product meets my criteria then I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Thank you for your suggestions, references, and time in advance.

AntiZig

Distinguished
Hello,
as far as I know you're unlikely to find a finger print reader on a budget laptop, it's a fancy feature, but take a look at the following ones:

Lenovo ThinkPad X series (11.6" model)
Lenovo IdeaPad S series (10.1")
Asus N10 (10.2")

darius_n

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Yeah, I've been looking at some of the ASUS products, I'm using notebookreviews.com to try to help and nail down a good one. But I find that it seems to be up to date, but when I click on links a lot of the stuff is "out of stock" or some stuff even dates back to a year or two in the past.