Xbox 360 Gets Upgraded DVD Spec for 1GB More

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
So this whole time they have been devoting 12% of the disc to anti-piracy software that doesn't even work. Fucking MS...

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
should have done that in the 1st place 6 years ago. lol they just cut it to down 5.8GB for anti-piracy don't make a difference to me. a lot of games have to watch their data capacity now, cutting out features, etc... making PC suffer in the long run for 6 years now. Considering they starting to hire people for xbox 720, i estimate we gonna have to endure 3.5 years more.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]So this whole time they have been devoting 12% of the disc to anti-piracy software that doesn't even work. Fucking MS...[/citation]

Its better that than the crappy DRM that we face on the PC for most games. DRM that screws PCs up and doesn't even work anyways.

Thank God for Steam.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
They ought to just give up. This is good news for developers but anti-piracy security measures have gone far over the extreme years ago and have failed. EA's been blowing it for the PC for years now and ultimately not only does it waste millions a year to implement but ultimately ends up hurting the consumer more often than the pirate who gives a crap whether or not they can play an illegal copy or not, after all they aren't paying for it so they could give two shits. It's almost like doing it for the lulz, trolling in a fashion to see how far companies will go, and at the end of the day laugh as they watch the company bring itself down.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Its better that than the crappy DRM that we face on the PC for most games. DRM that screws PCs up and doesn't even work anyways.Thank God for Steam.[/citation]
and pirates who strip the drm. i buy a game, and pirate it for that reason.

G

F MS... My console just suffered the RROD and they will not fix it for free since its 2 months out of warranty. Im modding it and getting my money back by downloading games...time to start supporting the pirates

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
HAPPY APRIL FOOLS TOMS HARDWARE
microsoft out did you changing my date to may 1st when the clock rolled over, was trying to figure out how microsoft security essentials said its virus definition was out of date and hadn't been scanned in 7 days yet it had the same definition number when i hit update and had just let it scan the previous night!
ooh hahahahaha very funny microsoft!

G

c4eva has broken through every security measure MS has pushed out, and the new one will be no different. No system on earth is un-hackable, there is always a way through. Even the PS3 which enjoyed 4 years of no piracy has been ripped apart. Wii - hacked, DS - hacked. There is no console that is unhackable. Unless we go back to cartridges :D

Lord-Nikon

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Ok wait, so instead of MS improving the console by adding the long sought after Blu-Ray player, they would rather focus on Anti Piracy methods that will inevitable get cracked regardless?

How's about giving your consumers what they want and not what you need?

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
The space isn't just for piracy, Microsoft confirmed that the 1gb was actually reserved for DVD video. Microsoft are removing the video partition thus restoring the 1gb.

Also, Blu-ray is not the answer for consoles as it has appalling random read speeds, hence why most PS3 games require mandatory installs...to get around the fact that the disc format isn't quick enough to load on demand.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
It won't be long after it's released and it will get hacked again, I'm sure.

I think one of the best ways to fight piracy is...
With each game include a unique CD Key.
Each game would be encrypted using this unique CD Key algorithim. Using a REAL file encryption program like Credant. (I know it sounds similar to what is already being done but stay with me...)
The game would not accept other CD Key's just that one that is included with your purchase. (Your friend wouldn't be able to use his key for your disk.)

1 usable key per disk and each key must be registered online to ensure the key is only used 1 time.

It's true that it's not a perfect solution and many gamers would b*tch about it but if you're a developer it's probably the best way to avoid your game being pirated. The downside though is that this method would never be approved for use on a console. For the consoles you'd have to rely mostly on the makers (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft)

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Blu-Ray to the Xbox would be fine and all but shinmalothar is on the money about the performance aspect. Sony offsets this by allowing end users to upgrade their hard drive at will. With a 360 if they bring on blu-ray (unlikely) then we need that same open hard drive upgrade option for Xbox (more unlikely yet). HDDHACKR is a nice option but you're limited to 250GB of a specific brand.

But all this may be rather moot by the time of the next console. We may go an older direction in the next round. Flash is getting cheaper all the time and eclipses optical discs in random access performance and, with some reading easy over 30MB/sec over USB2 it's got the read performance. Plus depending up on the interface used (doesn't need to be USB necessarily) capacity and performance could be left to the game maker. There may (or may not) be some security benefits with that distribution model, too. One thing we've seen demonstrated is that the optical disc drive itself can be a serious vulnerability. This all started when some hacker, I forget who but it wasn't c4e, demonstrated this point with the Hitachi drive of the original Xbox with the thought being the Hitachi in the 360 was very similar. Look at where we're at now. Only a matter of time before c4e turns his eye to the PS3. Sony thought they had a problem with Mr. Hotz.

lorddude

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]It won't be long after it's released and it will get hacked again, I'm sure.I think one of the best ways to fight piracy is...With each game include a unique CD Key.Each game would be encrypted using this unique CD Key algorithim. Using a REAL file encryption program like Credant. (I know it sounds similar to what is already being done but stay with me...)The game would not accept other CD Key's just that one that is included with your purchase. (Your friend wouldn't be able to use his key for your disk.)1 usable key per disk and each key must be registered online to ensure the key is only used 1 time.It's true that it's not a perfect solution and many gamers would b*tch about it but if you're a developer it's probably the best way to avoid your game being pirated. The downside though is that this method would never be approved for use on a console. For the consoles you'd have to rely mostly on the makers (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft)[/citation]
I don't have my xbox connected anywhere near my router. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to play games?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
instead of cursing out a company for designing its products the way IT WANTS to, simply don't purchase the equipment if you don't like it. Am i a fan of DRM? absolutely not but who are we to tell a company how to make their products. then you wouldnt give a rip about articles like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.