Xbox 360 Has 10-year Lifecycle Thanks to Natal

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ugh, i thought consoles actually came out with fairly decent specs compared to pcs this time round. but if they plan to make em last for 10 years, it looks like consoles will be just as monolithically behind PCs as they always were. i mean there is SOME hope for ppl finding more performance in the labyrinth that is the PS3 (tho i'm skeptical) i'd say the easy to develop for 360 will reach its technical limits way before the 10 years is up. what microsoft should have done is exactly what nintendo did, release the 360 in a different box, with a different name, with natal so ppl would think its a BRAND NEW AWESOME CONSOLE!!!1!!1!1

still should be an interesting time for pc gaming in the next couple of years as they finally begin tear away from the console port and present much more technically amazing games than the consoles.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know..on one hand you gotta hand it to microsoft to put a lot of thought into the hardware behind natal, it sounds like it would be the best performing item of it's type, but that being said, the idea of it has been done many times before, and for the most part, it's a fun gimmick, but little more than that

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Nothing like that has been done hate.. Unless you're thinking of the stupid gloves and things of that nature. At least not for the average consumer base.

People *me included* also though the wii was just gonna be another nintendo crap gimmick like some of their past motion crap. But look and behold how well it is doing.

To me this should be a nintendo thing almost.. WII THE EXTREME.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]That's nice MS, you can stick with your old USB 2.0's while we and good old trusty Ubuntu go on to USB 3.0[/citation]

Seriously, is there any console running linux that wasn't added as some type of hack? What was the point of this post, really? Whether or not the lifespan of the xbox 360 is 5, 10 or 15 years for that matter, I'm sure that the major players will be releasing new consoles within the next 1 to 3 years. Don't you think?

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
hmm...

The 360 has the ATI X1950 XT GPU. If it has a ten year life span it still has like what? 7 more years to go? I'll be enjoying the ATI 8870 or 9870 by that time with an 8 or 16 core CPU at 5 GHz

maurath55

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
u guys are dumb, just because it has a ten year life span dosnt mean they wont move on to the next one. ps2 is on its ninth year but the ps3 has been out for what three years?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The PS2 is only around because the PS3 isn't doing that well. Do you remember the old PSOne Forever ads? Well, as soon as PS2 picked up steam the PSOne was canned. If the PS3 had that level of success we would have seen the last PS2 games last year.

Anyway I don't know about the 10 year life span thing. The first XBOX sure didn't last too long. We'll see.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I have the PS2, PS3, and XBOX 360... For now, I like the 360 best but I've yet to go online with it since I refuse to buy the $79 wireless adapter - ripoff! So for now my PS3 is the console to go with when I want to play online.

Status
Not open for further replies.