Xbox 360 to Get 802.11n Wi-Fi Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I like my setup better. N router wired to xbox. Everything else in the house wireless n. Bought the n router for less than Microsoft's g adapter

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, my 360 and HTPC are both hard wired and all other devices wireless G. I have N adapters in two laptops and on my desktop so an upgrade would be cool, but not necessary atm.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I am sure the upgrade is so that they can still justify 100 for it. Now that n is getting cheap enough for Microsoft to make a hefty profit.

G

One of the reasons I havent bought a 360 is its lack of built in wireless and the fact that you have to pay monthly for online gaming.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
People complained about the price of the PS3 when it first came out (and yes, it was very high). But to turn the 360 into a PS3-like machine (HD-DVD drive, Wireless adapter), made the console cost even more than a PS3. If you didn't need wireless, and were smart enough to avoid HD-DVD, yeah, you saved some money over the PS3. At the same time, you can't feel smart getting a 360 then paying out the ass for add-on's that come standard with the other console.

That said, when is the 360 getting Blu-Ray?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i though enjoy the fact that the 360 is modular and allows one to have the choice of their accessories... as some posters stated, they run on the wire anyway and others have particular needs for external antennas and the ability to upgrade to a faster or particular wireless standard to werk in their environment... integration is nice sometimes, till something breaks and/or your need something that the integrated device can not provide....

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
@hellwig

considering Sony would have to allow Microsoft to use their blue ray technology I'd say whenever they license it to Microsoft

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
360 will never get BlueRay as M$ went with HD DVD...and it didnt take off. Sony own blueray and probably wouldnt let M$ have it in their console

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Even better, how about they do a console update releasing it WITH the adapter (or at least the old g adapter), not to mention a few other fixes/updates (namely -> hardware).

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]theLaminator[/nom]@hellwigconsidering Sony would have to allow Microsoft to use their blue ray technology I'd say whenever they license it to Microsoft[/citation]

Actually....

Blu-ray wasn't made by Sony. Sony is just one company out of 19 that are on the board of directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association. So its not Sony's call although they could pressure the rest of the members I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
thats cool. still don't get what's so hard about running wires. does the 360 have gigabit?

and Sony is the biggest player in bluray, the original format being created just by them and Phillips. Some of it may be that they are just gonna say its a gaming machine (which is fair enough) untill digital downloads are feasible - and it is alot more feasible on a locked console than on a pc - which is nearly here. but some of it would also be that they just don't wanna 'give in' to sony.

I only have a ps3, and I prefer my blurays to digital downloads any day. even when digital downloads match the quality of bluray, and our net is reliable and fast enough to stream it, and it doesn't cost us a fortune in bandwidth, even then, the gay drm schemes they will come up with just put me off (look at pc gaming, they still haven't got it right)

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]That said, when is the 360 getting Blu-Ray?[/citation] Never, Microsoft has officially stated that they'll never have the 360 play blue-ray ever. Anyway they have Netflix that could stream HD content.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]Adapter is the problem here...They should just make wifi a built in feature like the ps3 and wii did.[/citation]

Exactly. I never understood the idiocy of the media when they bitched about the PS3 price of $600 when it came out. A XBOX360 at that time was $399 with a hard drive 1/3 the size plus $100 for the wireless adapter showed that the PS3 was a value proposition.

FYI - I own both the XBOX 360 and PS3... I never bought the wireless adapter for the XBOX360 since I bridge my laptops wireless internet to it. And my PS3 died after about using it 20-30 times (the bluray drive was toast even though I played about 12 blurays).

Status
Not open for further replies.