Xbox 360 Update May Cause System Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Mine did this three weeks ago, so I don't think that it is necessarily related to the update. My cousin's did the same thing.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
My 360 has been fine after the update, i have no clue what these people are talking about, none of my friends have got this either, i guess its just a few unlucky people.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Hadn't used my console for a few weeks till Saturday. Everything was fine with it though. Turned it on, it forced the update and WHAM! It froze when I tried to log back in after the update. Had to disconnect the power cable as the power button didn't do anything. Got back to the console, logged in and started looking around (not gaming), it locked up again. This time the power button worked, but not the controller. Got back in and played some SR2 via system link and it locked up once more about 20 minutes in. I gave up and shut it off. Haven't tried since. It'll be interesting to see if I have more problems.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I didn't power mine in the past few days so I wasn't aware of the update. I think I'll wait a couple of days before using it again (or I'll play offline), just in case...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"The Xbox 360 console is infamous for its frequent system failures. Last year, Microsoft was involved in a lawsuit over the so-called "Red Ring of Death," where it was claimed that the software giant had concealed the failure rates of the console to prevent damage to its reputation."

LOL as if Ms ever had a good reputation! :p

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
don't forget how many DISC READ ERRORS the PS2 had and it still sold record numbers. Sony didn't fix the problem for 5 years after PS2 was released.

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
This is some real bull.... Here I am wondering what system to get and finally leaning to the 360 and more bull from Micro$ to give you another headache. First, it's the red ring, then the scratched discs, an update that could've bricked your system EVEN when it was unmodified, and now a new update that could brick it again?

Consoles are getting worse than PCs man!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Im willing to wager that most of the people having problems are the ones who didnt wait for the update to complete before screwing with their xbox. When the update happened mine appeared to freeze for almost 5 minutes but I didnt touch it and just let it finish and whaddaya know it works just fine.

Impatient and stupid people are the real problem.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I didn't have a problem with my (60GB) or my son's (20GB) 360 after the update. Not using HDMI however, so it might not have affected me anyway.

I do have a 3rd core system which took a dive on me a few weeks ago, stopped reading game discs, although it reads everything else just fine. Oh well, called MS on Friday, they sent out the UPS Box, which I recieved yesterday and sent it out this morning. I asked for the DVD-rom and motherboard to be replaced with the Opus or Jasper version, since the one I sent in was a launch Xenon version.

Will know if they actually do it, since they'll need to include a new power supply with it. :) The last 360 I sent in for repair (the one my son is currently using now) was only out of commision a total of 5 days. I called on a Monday, had box on Tuesday, sent out on Wednesday and recieved it back on Friday.

MS has been very good about the repairs (IMO) from my own experiences and from what my friends who've also had problems have told me. It's disappointing that there are problems to begin with, but my 2 launch consoles have always been repaired within a matter of days if they took a nose-dive. Happy to report that my 60GB version hasn't had a single hiccup and is so much quieter than the launch versions (thank you die-shrink).

My PS3 (well my son's now) has never had a problem.. well except for the fact it just sits around collecting dust with the occasional Little Big Planet diversion.

G

Good thing Microsoft are only Software ppl ! Imagine if they were designing cars, planes or medical instruments !!! Now, imagine that they WANT to be in every computer system... gives me nightmares at night!

G

Why is everyone still buying that POS of hardware? No sympathy from me, you got it coming.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My 360 (second one after the first rrod'd) has been locking up ever since the update... and it never gave us an issue in the year of operation prior to the update. The system is that either the system rrod's or it starts and runs for about 5 minutes then locks.

Either the update found a "problem" that wasn't causing problems before or the update CAUSED the problems.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL The Red Ring of Death is back!!! Muwhahahaha!!

Still, that Red Ring of Death would look pretty freaking cool on that Red XBOX 360 that's supposed to be released...

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
ohh cut it out...ps3 vs. xbox 360...WHATEVER!

i have both!!!! they are both great!

only downfall for the ps3 is that 3/4 or more of the titles only output in 720p and that SUCKS! those same titles on the xbox360 are usually in 1080p....THAT"S THE DEAL BREAKER FOR ME!

but hey i have the best of both worlds.....

G

I had this problem, unfortunatelly. My XBox was working perfectly, until the update. I did everything correctly (waited until the update restarted the system on its own and everything else), but after a couple of minutes playing Halo 3, heavy artifacts appeared and the system locked up. After another restart, a Red Light went on and the error E-74 appeared on the screen. And my XBox doesn't even have HDMI port...

Status
Not open for further replies.