Xbox 360 Woes: E74 Becoming Big Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL Class Action suit anyone? :)

Seriously... I'm glad I don't own an XBOX 360. Seems like a great system, with many, many great titles, but the risk of having one go bad seems pretty large. At least that's the impression I get from the media. ;)

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
It's hard to stay neutral regarding Microsoft when so many of their products are plaged with so many problems...how many times I read that Vista, Zune and Xboxes seemed to have been rushed into production?
I have a cousin who works there, so it's hard for me to criticize, but I have absolutely no faith in their products anymore.

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I own an Xbox 360 and I've had a great experience with it from day one, I also use the NXE. I wouldn't let the fear of hardware failure keep you away from the solid game library and terrific integrated online experience and marketplace, of which there is a lot of movie and TV show content.

I don't buy TV shows from there due to the lack of options of transfering your content to other devices, but I do rent movies occasionally.

However, I don't deny these problems are real, and there is a chance you will receive a console that will go haywire on you. Jasper model 360's are supposed to greatly alleviate any problems.

I'm not a fanboy or a spokesman, I just genuinely feel that if you're willing to take the risk on it, it pays out great dividends in entertainment. I just wish you good luck in receiving a console as sturdy as mine. :)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
heh i just had a friend's 360 give him the RROD a few days ago and sense it was a gift he has no proof of purchase so he's screwed. while all the crashbox 360 fans say the RROD issue is over here comes a different way your console will fail on you. the PS3 may be pricey but i have no doubt it has nowhere near the failure rate as the Xbox.

I always knew red ring or not the failure rates will still be huge with the xbox which is why i'm sticking with the PS3 this time

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
This is just like any other MS product, when it is broken instead of fixing it they shift it. They recognized they couldn't afford to keep bleeding money out on these claims of the RoD. So they made this new error which catches the RoD before it becomes a RoD and forces the user to repair at their own cost because this new error is not covered under a previous warranty. This sounds far more likely then some new problem popping up after how many years on the market now? Give me a break MS... This cannot end well for them.

G

My son's xbox 360 is having disc read errors. We got the system for him last Christmas and it has only been 3 months. I first noticed the problem when I bought him a new game at the store. The disc for the game could not be read. I figured it was a defective game. We returned it and got another copy. Same issue. I asked him if he has had any other issues with it and he said the other games where working. I had him test another one and sure enough it would not read the disc. Overall 3 out of the 4 games he has could not be read. After doing some research on this it appears to be a common problem with the XBox 360. I am thankful that I bought an extended warranty with Best Buy. We will see tomorrow if they hold up on their end for replacement.

Now we also have a PS3 and I just fixed an issue with it not being able to download updates for the games. It would get somewhere between 5 - 20 % and said the download failed and some error code. After doing some research on this I found that disabling the option to connect to media server (or something very similar) in the network preferences was to address this issue. I tested this and did not have the same problem.

Now I have been gaming since I was young and started with an Atari 2600. A couple years ago I pulled out an old Atari 2600 and some games and was able to get it to work with little amounts of work after this many years (my son could not believe I enjoyed playing these games). However today the technology has grown so much but the quality of the systems can never stand the test of time (let alone a few months).

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
wow i cant believe that xbox 360 after all these years is still plagued by hardware issues, microsoft needs to get on the ball, with all the bad press it could lose whatever gains xbox360 made against rivals. mine failed a bit ago and i had rip it open and luckily was able to fix it myself, otherwise i would be out by $100 for a $.0001 part what was not glued properly when manufactured.

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I actually just sent my 360 in last week w/ an E74 error, and they fixed it for free out of Warranty, maybe they are actually gonna own up to this one w/o legal prompting.

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Apparently having an older non hdmi version might be a good thing. Granted now that I know it's a bad solder connection, if I ever get one and it acts up out of warranty I'd just take it apart and re-solder it.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
At this point one would be foolish to choose Crashbox360 over
a PS3. But than again if you like loud noise and Red Flashing
lights than it may just be for U.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
okay okay.. I'm on my third xbox now.. first was a launch model, which worked for over 2 years.. then i sold it when the new jasper models got around, to be on the safe side with rrod.. second was a new jasper arcade with my old harddrive, and i froze after 10mins of play.. over a couse of 4 weeks it kept freezing, and i was so angry, so i phoned in, asked politely to the store clerk to have it replaced.. he agreed(luckily!!) and i got it swapped for a new arcade jasper.. it's on its second month now a believe, and hopefully will run strong as my first one..

G

Hey, I've just got this error and am pretty irate about it. I have had my xbox for about a year and a half now, and with no problems what-so-ever. Now this E74 message is popping up. It would help me greatly if any of you could give me anything that would help me get my xbox fixed, without having to stupidly spend $100 on a repair that may not have been my fault. Please reply

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
For once, they are reporting correctly.. I'm seeing E74 more and more around here in Brazil and MS here won't do a thing about fixing this issues since 99% of the 360s comes from a grey market (illegal imports - who would pay US$1200 for an original/legal XBox if you can get them for $650???).
Don't be amazed, it IS true.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
(since a long post won't do as I'm getting a 503 error page, here goes the rest of the text/post)

I'm around since the RROD was a common problem and I'm fixing most of those. The problem is. Because of the heat generated by the GPU/CPU combination that alone is causing the xANA chip to fail.

How can we fix it? Just add around a ten to a dozen nickel to the xANA, heat it again for 15 seconds maximum, close the game and voilá. A fixed 360. (let it cool down, of course - I wonder how long till Team Xecuter steals the idea and creates a knockoff product like the RROD "fix").
OH MY GOD, THAT EASY??

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
(since a long post won't do as I'm getting a 503 error page, here goes the rest of the text/post)

A small reminder: Microsoft created SEVERAL faulty hardware (who never had a MS mouse spinning down when playing FPS through the fist rock - Zune and it's faulty clock bricking all Zunes around) and faulty software (Vista anyone? Millennium than?). And because of that 'history', one can always find easy 'patches' for those problems.

I'm seeing several "falcon" with 0102, 0021, 0020 and TONS of E74. The later started around january last year and now it's a trend that we are seeing on all 2006/2007/2008 hardware.
The ones that are most commonly related to E74 are the one that have the BenQ and Hitachi 0079 drive. Older models with the "ANA" chip will get E74, but on a slower pace if compared to the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.