Xbox 360's Project Natal Demo on Jimmy Fallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
PLEASE make this affordable Micro$oft. Just watching this video makes me as giddy as Jimmy, I can't wait for a chance to try it myself.

Gedoe_

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
this shit looks lame, seriously. I like to sit down when i game.

notice how they are wearing red because else the camera wont notice you

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Gedoe_ you are retarded, go back to your useless PS3. BTW, they dont have to stand. You can sit down and it will do the same thing...

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Gedoe_[/nom]this shit looks lame, seriously. I like to sit down when i game.notice how they are wearing red because else the camera wont notice you[/citation]

you sir fail

oh and i will buy this for sure it looks awesome... when i get an xbox

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Interesting. Not really innovative as it's just using existing technology. They have come up with a fairly compact pre-processor package though.

I got the impression that the players were having difficulty with depth perception when reacting to the balls. I think a 3D VR headset in addition to this would be better for gameplay.

I don't think the Wii and PS3 are disadvantaged by this as they could create the same thing. The pre-processor offloads a lot of the work from the console. This could easily be added to any PC.

japnoise99

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Seems to be a lot of noticeable lag, kinda like using a cheep 3rd party controller. Notice that they cant hit the balls. I'm sure they will get the kinks worked out. I swear I played that same brick game at my sisters house using eye toy though.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
I agree. This isn't exactly a new idea, but XBOX looks like the first company to really do anything with it beyond just simple wave your arms nonsense, which means all those Riverdance fans might have a shot at videogame glory!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
For those being critical to it remember that its still in development and should improve quite a bit before its released. Plus this is the first version of it give it time to mature and evolve and I'm sure it can be something we would all enjoy.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Wow, some xbox fans really going to town on the ratings.

This is an interesting concept. I would question the need for the brightly uniformly colored jump suits though and the taped out box on the floor. I understand its still a WIP and this is the first real demo I've seen.

This is still a gimmick accessory for most current and popular Xbox 360 games. For a no controller setup to be practical for FPSs and RPGs you need to be able to turn. If you turn in real life, guess what? No more screen in front of you to see what you're doing. Someone above suggested VR helmet, then the problem comes when you turn a 180 and the camera can't see what your hands are doing when they're in front of you (holding a gun, wand, waving widely to fend off Larry Simmons, etc.)

This will make a great accessory for those highly reviewed games like Petz, Barbies Little Pony, etc. where you generally select something, then use an analog stick to swing the object about something that doesn't move ie maintains a set perspective.

The only popular game market I can REALLY see this getting any kind of good and popular game, is Sports games. Right now Football, Baseball, Bowling, etc. games have a set perspective and some key combo needs to be entered to execute whats in front of you correctly (usually involving the movement of the player while you keep the same set perspective.) Unfortunately, in most sports the actions involve holding something so that you don't injure yourself (try throwing a ball really hard and fast, without the ball).

I'm looking forward to being proved wrong by the developers, but not setting my hopes on it.

G

With the amount of press this is getting I think everyone is going to be in for a big surprise. Everyone expects this to be ages away from release however the biggest advantage of Natal is that ANY game can be tweaked to take advantage of the technology - meaning that by THIS Christmas there could be HUNDREDS of games that can use Natal to some degree.

For instance - to all the naysayers - lets look at the biggest selling title and STILL the most played game - HALO3. With a few tweaks of code they could optimise Natal so that things like throwing grenades, smashing out your elbow, reloading your gun etc could all be used IN CONJUNCTION with the existing controller. Thus Natal simply ENHANCES what is already a great experience. Then depending on how well it works there could be further updates that may allow you to play Halo COMPLETELY by using Natal, thus giving you the ultimate choice in how you want to play.

When you leave your hate at the door and open your mind, the possibilities of Natal are truly staggering.

ajhen314

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
All you 360 fanboys are ridiculous, just weeks ago you were making fun of motion control and calling it a gimmick. Natal is not innovative, period. No force feedback makes the using your body as a controller uninspiring and would frankly just feel dumb. This is more a gimmick than you claim the wii to be. The only real application of any interest is Milo and that is still a long way off. Every time it has been shown it was a video or a personal account while a lionhead studios tech was sitting with a computer plugged into it obviously leading it along.

Really though I hope I am wrong and this is a gaming revolution that changes the way games are played. This can only help the industry in coming out with truly inspired games that were previously not possible.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I swear you're all retarded or delusional fanboys. How can you buy into this garbage? It's an EyeToy! Sony already made this years ago and it sucked. This is the same thing with fancier technology. You're not going to be able to play anything except mini games and anything else that requires no movement outside waving your body around. You're not going to be playing Halo or anything like that with this. It looks cool and might be fun to show off to friends and family, but it's a gimmick and the novelty will wear off and its actual gaming applications won't extend outside special games. I bet it will be restricted to party games, driving games, and maybe some fighting games, but overall it won't be able to handle complex movement in 99% of games or complex button configurations. And even with exceptions like driving games, I'd rather use a controller or steering wheel instead of holding onto air.

It's funny how people think this will magically work with the back catalog of 360 games. They'll have to include it as a standard feature with a next-gen system to get any value out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.