Xbox "720" "Durango" Rumored to Have No Disc Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
If the console does not work with my existing xbox360 games (DVD), then I will not buy it. no way will I have 2 clunky consoles in my tv room.

G

No disc drive... that't retarded! How are you going to play movies (besides Netflix). I feel like they should upgrade to a Blue-ray drive. I'm sure future releases will take up way more space, some games on the PS3 are 20GB. Your going to need one massive hard drive to store all those games. Btw I'm not a PS3 fanboy, I own both consoles; play mostly on Xbox except for few PS3 only releases. My PS3 is used mostly for 3D Blue-ray movies.

They should add and SSD or have a HDD but allow for your own upgrades. The feature on the Xbox to save an entire game on the hard drive is amazing. Saving some games (not all) at your discretion with a SSD would dramatically reduce load times. A SSD will also improve overall system performance.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I feel like we are going back to the atari/NES days of cartridges. lol Of course this isn't the same, but moving away from optical discs back to a solid storage seems pointless. Especially when SSD's are expensive ($1/GB) and SD cards are much the same ($0.75-1/GB)
making that a more expensive solution than discs. $100 for games? nah, I'm sure they are just going to use some sort of SSD for the system storage and move to download only.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is great! Running games from the Disc gives devs a hard time managing what goes into the buffer with compression techniques. I remember John Carmack touching this issue with DVDs about its limited transfer of data a time from disc.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Getting rid of discs is their way of getting rid of their problem of being re-selling games and buying used ones; this is exactly why they're doing this, especially considering the costs of SSDs

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I don't have a fast internet connection, so I see no advantage of paying $70 for a game that I'll have to wait 2-3 days to download. If they used something like a triple layer HD-DVD for a disc, they would have the capacity of a bluray without having to pay royalties to Sony and without a huge number of drives on the market that can read the discs to copy or pirate them.

G

makes sense with the rumor of no used games. if they put everything on ssd drives and encrypted it based on your gamertag than you have a diskless console. honestly i only use the disk drive for the games. since i have a blu-ray player that has WAAAY better audio support than DD 5.1

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Cloud storage? definatelly. I absolutely approve of solutions like steam - online, and on-demand content delivery is definatelly the way of the future.

As for the disk drive (or lack thereof) in the console itself is understandable. Will it support blue ray disks, and older 360 games? More likely then not. Wait, what?!

It seems that no one here remembers that the XB360 had a little known USB attachment - the HD-DVD drive. It worked great, and mine still works ^^ although they dont make those disks anymore.

If that thing has USB ports.... (and it will) you would just plug in your USB optical drive (dvd, blueray, whatever) to it, and do what you need to do :D

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The lack of an optical drive would certainly be a neat solution to the used game "problem" the publishers have. If all your games are downloadable, it will be a simple step to eliminate the second-hand market.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
it's not the speed of the internet that will hinder home video game console...

it's the limited bandwidth...

remember...many ISP have 250GB bandwidth limit for BOTH download AND upload...

if you account for all the streaming media a person uses every month on top of all the regular internet traffic AND already available downloaded games, you're going to hit that limit even faster if video game consoles need CONSTANT online connections for their games...

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Why not a Blu-ray drive? They'll be very cheap when it'll be released and be many times bigger than the DVD's they have now (up to 100GB with BD-XL or something compared to the ~8GB's of the DVD's).

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Sounds good, a "steam" like account system so you can re-download from the cloud as you require. An on board 60GB SSD for os and game install and the option to back the games up to an optional large capacity HDD via usb 3.0.
This is almost exactly how I use my PC steam account....works a treat for me.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Bring games below $50 ($40-50 new release) and they wouldn't have a "problem" with used games. $60 for a new release is just too much.

G

This is good...push the ISP to up their caps.

Card storage might be really some type of authorization key card, allowing us to access a cloud system that lets us stream game content via their servers. Much like steam or even onlive. Internet is getting faster and faster...but more importantly we need companies to push the ISPs to allow us to have this type of content.

If I guess correctly and Microsoft is pushing for this type of delivery method it will inadvertently/purposely start a infrastructure revolution in the US.

d8v1d

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I don't think cloud would work for large games. Imagine every millions of XBOX user, accessing that game on their cloud. Your going to need one heck of a server. And not everyone can afford good internet. You can have cloud for other reasons, but the games should still be put on a Disc or saved onto the Hard drive.

G

Watch MS buyout all the local cable companies. Prioritize traffic for their XBOX live servers and dominate the internet....

OHHH Google would hate that.

G

Seriously...MS wants to beat Google at its own game. Google is trying to offer up free internet. This would be a great way to take a giant leap around google via the pretense of gaming. Ahh I'm just a crazy old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.