Xbox Live Gold Going Free All Weekend Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Enjoy your extra Gold perks including Netflix, Hulu, Video Kinect, Facebook, online gaming, and all those special deals Gold users are offered.

Aren't most of these perks free anyways or at least have free trial period?

G

wow that's generous of micro$haft... you know what's free all the time? *a-hem* PSN... *cough*

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, I hate how it costs money to join Live. I don't really play games online, so there's really no compelling reason to join.

Also, Netflix is free on my Wii. And playing games online on my PC, is also free.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
pretty lame if your a PC gamer. paying for the ability to play online, actually paying $50 for a game that uses 7 yr hardware, no way jose get your ass back to work. watch movies for free online listen to music for free online. i dont get this whole console thing.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]lilhippo9[/nom]pretty lame if your a PC gamer. paying for the ability to play online, actually paying $50 for a game that uses 7 yr hardware, no way jose get your ass back to work. watch movies for free online listen to music for free online. i dont get this whole console thing.[/citation]

There's just a different "vibe" you get from playing on console. You most likely get to play on a much bigger screen and you can chill on the couch instead of on a computer chair. It's more accessible in a weird sort of way. 3rd person games also play really will with a controller instead of keyboard/mouse combo. Plus there really are some sweet console games that never make it to PC .... I'm still a PC-first gamer though :)

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]thepickle[/nom]wow that's generous of micro$haft... you know what's free all the time? *a-hem* PSN... *cough*[/citation]
Free in the sense that your credit card information was stolen freely?

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]thepickle[/nom]wow that's generous of micro$haft... you know what's free all the time? *a-hem* PSN... *cough*[/citation]

Seriously? I can tell you a bunch of things that are free yet suck in comparison with other services. THankfully people dont just go for the free and bad services and make the premium more interesting with more perks for the rest of us. Sure you can play Portal on a Mac and have less chances for an error while playing but the thing is that you will just play Portal. ( Not just that but you get what Im saying.. )

The new dashboard looks great and the companion amazing. The fact I cant use any of those cause they are limited to the US and a couple to UK just sucks hard core tho and makes me more sad about it...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i just don't get xbox specifically.

lets look at hotmail gives you 5gb for free. 10-20mb attachments... here let me look this up.
i just made a 10 second long audio clip and exported it to flac, and hay... 700kb about, it would take 2 minutes of talking almost to cover 10 mb, and this is a stereo recording.

now, google+ and facebook found ways to bring us together and make money, you telling me that microsoft cant do that will all the money they make from dlc or advertisements, find some way to bring a rudimentary social network (basically a friends list in an email client) and make it free?

you can not defend the price of live... especially when i can find FOR FREE alternatives to damn near every service they offer.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
It's only a matter of time before Xbox Live goes free to play online. I was reading not too long ago that Micorsoft is thinking about making online play for free while paid members will be able to access apps and downloadable content like map packs, videos that will be included into the paid membership.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Jane is seems that you forgot to mention the update comes with a new terms of agreement which takes the rights to take Microsoft to court for anything related to the console away.
This is the core reason to try to get users to agree to the terms as those who do not currently subscribe to LIVE have no need to update. So while your not wrong you did forget to specificly mention the largest reason and the effect it has on the consumer.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I do have Xbox a live gold membership and I only have one because not too many of my friends do play PC games. I never really understood why it was $5 because it's not like they provide dedicated servers to host games. Also Since the new update you have advertisements on 4 sections of the Xbox Dash which are in the Home,Game,Music, and Apps section. I am not very happy about this.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
[citation][nom]tmanishere[/nom]Aren't most of these perks free anyways or at least have free trial period?[/citation]

Those "perks" are free on EVER. SINGLE. OTHER. PLATFORM. DS/PSP/PS3/WII/PC/iOS

EightyFour

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
3 laptops, 2 gaming desktops, 2 xbox 360's, 1 xbox classic (and some old playstation and nintendo shit)

Family pack for xbox live, the misses needs gold too.. yea it's kinda gey having to pay to play, but a 100$/year for 4 accounts, unlimited etc not that bad.

also, "free on every single other platform" gtfo, i wouldn't be found dead on playstation network.

xbox live is second to only the PC online experience.

bamf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
why isnt this working on my xbox? i have internet just not letting me play online, thought this was free for this weekend atleast!?!? :(

G

Still can't access Xbox live gold content on games. Like I can not download skins for my cars in Forza. Says I have to be a gold member. :(
*makes my own skin*

Unless something is wrong?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Jane is seems that you forgot to mention the update comes with a new terms of agreement which takes the rights to take Microsoft to court for anything related to the console away. This is the core reason to try to get users to agree to the terms as those who do not currently subscribe to LIVE have no need to update. So while your not wrong you did forget to specificly mention the largest reason and the effect it has on the consumer.[/citation]

Yea...read and EULA from anyone and it pretty much states that you cannot sue them.

Status
Not open for further replies.