Xbox Live User Averts School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
"Person prevents game-related school shooting"

5 bucks says computer games will be blamed for the Texan wanting to shoot up the school. The fact that the guy who informed authorities is also a gamer, and found this out through online gaming, will not be mentioned.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I tell the Mrs I'm going to fix the roof at the weekend. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Nice to see the "Ministerium für Staatssicherheit" still works.

On the other hand no one was shot. so its a good thing.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mooka[/nom]well, thats good but i can bet that he was just blah-blah-blah like almost all kids do online[/citation]
I agree and the sad part is the Police State cops in the USA will throw the book at this kid and ruin his life now.

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]So there is a use for xbox live... I was wondering all these years why anyone bothered.[/citation]

^^ agreed!

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]"Person prevents game-related school shooting"5 bucks says computer games will be blamed for the Texan wanting to shoot up the school. The fact that the guy who informed authorities is also a gamer, and found this out through online gaming, will not be mentioned.[/citation]

Well 10 buck says computer games will be blamed and the fact that the guy who informed authorities is also a gamer, and found this out through online gaming, will be mentioned and somehow turn to affect the image people have on games also.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]"Person prevents game-related school shooting"5 bucks says computer games will be blamed for the Texan wanting to shoot up the school. The fact that the guy who informed authorities is also a gamer, and found this out through online gaming, will not be mentioned.[/citation]

Completely agree with you. The media loves to sensationalize things.
Whatever happened to blaming the US Postal System?

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
There are some things you dont joke about and shooting up a school is one of them. Its one thing if you say you are going to beat someone up, but its another thing if you say you are going to kill them and a bunch of others and give details about how it will happen. With all of the school shootings that have happened as of late, I am glad the police took action regardless of if the kid was lying or not. No one was hurt and the kid is either off the streets (if he was telling the truth) or he learned a valuable lesson.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I clicked through and read the entire article. There was no explanation of why the kid in Texas said those things. It is impossible to tell from the article whether the kid was just fooling around or serious.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]I tell the Mrs I'm going to fix the roof at the weekend. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.Nice to see the "Ministerium für Staatssicherheit" still works.On the other hand no one was shot. so its a good thing.[/citation]

Yeah but bluffing about fixing the roof doesn't have the ability to induce a state of panic or social disruption either. We take threats like this serious, if it is found he did not have the means and resources to follow through with his claims he will recieve a punishment thats fitting. If it is found he did have the means he will be punished accordingly. If you think us in Law Enforcement over react to situations such as this, go ask the people in his community what they think. I'm sure they would be the first to tell you your perspective changes when it gets a little to close to home.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]I tell the Mrs I'm going to fix the roof at the weekend. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.Nice to see the "Ministerium für Staatssicherheit" still works.On the other hand no one was shot. so its a good thing.[/citation]
So you support the system where security officials aren't permitted to intervene until a casualty has been confirmed? Despicable!

pwndcake

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
In other news, X-box live invents Precrime. Microsoft spokespeople report free will as a bug, and they will be releasing a patch for it soon.

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

It's just like that movie with Tom Cruise about pre-crime. What was that called again, Jerry Maguire, or something like that.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]I agree and the sad part is the Police State cops in the USA will throw the book at this kid and ruin his life now.[/citation]

Sad? You got to be kidding, right? If anything, the kid should be arrested for being a total idiot. You don't "joke" about things like that. Moreover, this kid took it to the next level, naming names and the manner in which he was going to shoot them. Let's see how you would react if you had children and they were at the school where this douche bag was a student.

You want to treat it as an over reaction on society's part, and think this type of behavior should be totally acceptable. Well the problem isn't the former, but the latter. When we as a society accept this type of behavior as mere puffery or joking, then there is a serious problem.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Fox Montage[/nom]It's just like that movie with Tom Cruise about pre-crime. What was that called again, Jerry Maguire, or something like that.[/citation]
Minority report

Status
Not open for further replies.