News Xbox Series X has a killer new feature that PS5 can't match

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
One thing I don't understand is why everyone is ignoring the 3d audio in the Xbox... It's the same thing as in ps5 with one major exception... Microsoft has significantly more data and research in 3d audio. They have been experimenting with it for over a decade. Anyone remember that future room concept they showed off? That had 3d audio and Windows has atmos simulation via stereo headphones...

Dolby vision in games is going to be stunning and as someone who watches movies with an atmos setup (and in DV when avail)... It's amazing. Yeah it can be expensive but you can also build your system slowly. I started with a $400 5.1 setup in 2000 and it was good enough but I've since replaced everything. My 4 corners are all towers with a sub, mid and high range speaker in each. My center is a 200 watt 3 speaker box and even just a 5.0 setup can change a game.

If you have 5.1 or better you also have an advantage is most multiplayer games because you can more easily judge distance and direction of things like foot steps.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I find it somewhat ironic that they go to all this trouble and then the majority of gamers wear headsets ...... I don't care how well you do it you simply cannot accurately simulate 5.1 sound with 2 speakers ..... I have 5 speakers all about 1 meter from my head (Point source) and 2 8" subs and you can't simulate that with headphones ..... That's the one thing that holds me back from live streaming, you have to wear a headset and it just ruins many single player games for me

Herkfixer

Estimable
Sep 11, 2020
One thing I don't understand is why everyone is ignoring the 3d audio in the Xbox... It's the same thing as in ps5 with one major exception... Microsoft has significantly more data and research in 3d audio. They have been experimenting with it for over a decade. Anyone remember that future room concept they showed off? That had 3d audio and Windows has atmos simulation via stereo headphones...

Are you seriously going to tell me that because Microsoft made a "room of the future" that Sony (who has been in the high fidelity audio game for decades) can't compete? Yeah... No.

Also.. once again.. Microsoft is somehow going to outdo Sony (who has been in the high quality video game for decades) just because they throw a Dolby Atmos sticker on it? Yeah.. no.

Herkfixer

Estimable
Sep 11, 2020
Apparently Tom's guide Xbox fans writers don't read the Tom's guide PS5 fans writers. Just last week there was an article that highlighted PS5's 3D audio.

www.tomsguide.com/amp/features/ps5-and-3d-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

Also, PS5 and Xbox have nearly identical GPUs ... Throwing the Dolby Atmos sticker doesn't mean that Xbox is going to ultimately deliver anything above and beyond what PS5 is going to deliver. This whole article is a bunch of fanboy bunk. We have already seen actual gameplay of PS5 games that deliver absolutely stunning visuals... While we have seen none of the supposed PS5 killing optimizations of the Xbox. Same goes for the CPU. We see on paper big numbers but no one has shown the Xbox "using" those extra teraflops for anything.

Last edited by a moderator: