News Xbox Series X support really let me down — here’s why

Apr 17, 2021
I'm currently stuck in customer service purgatory between Xbox Live customer support and EA customer support. At some point in the past, someone (likely a roommate) linked their EA profile to my Xbox Live gamertag/account without my permission. I've lived with this relationship and even tried to in the past to remove and link my own EA account getting as far as EA being ready to unlink the account but was stopped when they realized I didn't have access to the email for the EA account and couldn't confirm the action we were taking via that email and a confirmation code. Note here that I'm able to play EA titles via the Xbox but under the linked profile. With the EA games coming onto Xbox Live game pass I was excited to try them out and was excited to try them out on PC since I haven't yet obtained an Xbox Series X. Since on PC these titles require you to download and sign into the EA account linked to your Xbox Live profile via the EA desktop app I'm unable to download or play any of them on my PC. Contacting Microsoft, they maintain that the only possible way to unlink or link a new account would be to have EA customer support escalate the issue and unlink the existing EA account attached to my gamertag.

EA customers support on the other hand, will not take any action because "for security purposes" they need to be contacted by the account holder. I have my own EA account and obviously access to the Xbox Live account and email address associate with it. No one can provide an answer as to why I can't establish a new relationship between my Xbox Live profile/gamer tag and my own EA account. So a big circle were Microsoft says this is EA's issue and must be resolved through them and EA says we can't do anything to help you.

The Microsoft agent was personable and made an attempt to connect with my on my issue. The EA representative was cold and uncaring using the their script as a shield. Insisting the only recourse is to track down whomever owns the EA account and having them go through this terrible maze of customer service on my behalf. My only other options seems to be discontinuing my Xbox Live subscription after 10 years or creating a new Xbox Live account.

Apr 18, 2021
I had a similar experience adding my receipt to my Xbox Elite Series 2 controller to extend my warranty. Microsoft's system has become really bloated, circuitous, and frustrating. I remember getting by Xbox 360 serviced with relative ease.