xbox sound problem

Daz Jackson

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
hello guys, i need some help please. ok so the kids have an xbox 360 & i bought them a 42 inch display monitor. trouble is, the monitor doesnt have hdmi ports & only vga. the monitor doesnt have internal speakers so i have connected external speakers to the back panel but im not getting any sound with the picture. please advise what i need to get. is it a vga to hdmi cable ? thankyou

Solution
Well the manual shows just 2 VGA ports without the "optional video unit".

It also has no speakers of any kind, but will drive 6/8 ohm speakers if connected to the unit.

The red(right audio) white(left audio) and Yellow(SD video) do not seem to have a place to connect to this TV.

You had mentioned that you actually had picture with this monitor. Does it have this "optional video unit" already installed?

The TV also has 2 3.5mm headphone jacks for audio input(one for each VGA port). You would need an adapter to get this to connect from the red/white RCA jacks. All this still depends on hacking passive speakers connected to the 2 speaker outputs on either side of the screen. The headphone jacks are inputs and can not be used for this...

nukemaster

Distinguished
How did you get to VGA.

The Xbox 360 should have an AV port that with the right cable will have VGA and analog audio or composite video and analog audio or even component video and analog audio.

HDMI -> VGA adapters have to be active since HDMI transmits digital signals and the VGA port would be analog(as would be the audio.)

Daz Jackson

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
sorry m8 im not one for gaming. all i know is that i can get the pic from the xbox but no sound. i was just wondering if it had to be connected to the vga socket on the monitor instead. only i tried the monitor at first using my laptop with a vga lead, i had the speakers connected to the back panel & sound is working fine that way but its not working with xbox. any help on what im doing wrong greatly appreciated or if theres a certain lead i need to get. thankyou

nukemaster

Distinguished
VGA is only for video. You will need 2 x RCA jacks(red/white most of the time) to bring audio to the TV/Monitor.

Some of these monitors may instead have the VGA in called PC in and use a headphone jack for the audio in.

Do you have a picture of the cables from the 360 and the plugs the tv/monitor has?

nukemaster

Distinguished
Well the manual shows just 2 VGA ports without the "optional video unit".

It also has no speakers of any kind, but will drive 6/8 ohm speakers if connected to the unit.

The red(right audio) white(left audio) and Yellow(SD video) do not seem to have a place to connect to this TV.

You had mentioned that you actually had picture with this monitor. Does it have this "optional video unit" already installed?

The TV also has 2 3.5mm headphone jacks for audio input(one for each VGA port). You would need an adapter to get this to connect from the red/white RCA jacks. All this still depends on hacking passive speakers connected to the 2 speaker outputs on either side of the screen. The headphone jacks are inputs and can not be used for this.

In the case you want to try, first you should use a computer to confirm the monitor works including its audio input(you need active speakers 6-8 ohms and at least 10 watts).
This is the adapter they sell for such a use
http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Xbox360/Accessories/CablesNetworking/Xbox360GVGSHDCable
Now that cable assumes normal RCA inputs for audio, so another adapter would also be needed. Something like this.
http://www.amazon.ca/Cables-Go-40645-To-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI

I am only listing those adapters because they are what my friends at Google come up with. I am sure you can get store brand parts that do the same thing locally if needed. The VGA adapter HAS to be made for xbox 360 as that is the AV port and not an HDMI port on the end.

An active HDMI -> VGA may work, but chances are it will cost more and may not also bring audio with it(depends on the adapter.).

If you do not want to deal with the TV speakers you can connect any old set of power computer speakers to the red/white cables and you should get sound.

Solution

Daz Jackson

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
hi m8, on the monitor & in addition to the vga port. there is quite a few jack ports. there are no internal speakers in the monitor. when i tried the monitor on buying secondhand, i used my laptop, i conencted one end of a vga cable from my desktop to the vga port on my laptop & the other end into the vga port on the display monitor, then i connected 2 external speakers onto the back of the monitor. this worked fine, i had both pict & sound. i wonder if i should try the following matey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTZxDWRRU4 . regards

nukemaster

Distinguished
That video gets sound about the same way I list, but they seem to get video from HDMI.

You can not send sound to the monitor from VGA, it just does not work that way and was not designed to send audio. If you connected a plug from the laptops headphone jack to the TV audio would have been sent.

If you have more than VGA you have the optional video unit.

Please try this to see if it works.

This is based on the manual you sent me. Note the thin line that connects the 2 sections. If you place audio in the wrong place, it will not work. Should be just like this.
f4o935.jpg

This is not a high def option, but should at least work. VGA + Audio should look better.