Xfinity cable looks bad on my new HD 50" tv?

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I just bought a toshiba 50" 1080 HD tv and i checked its picture with DVD's and even 1080p content on youtube and it looks awesome
but when i am using my xfinity cable the picture looks washed and blurry?
I tired both coaxial and HDMI outs in the TV?
I dont have xfinity's HD upgrade so is that what the problem is?
My tv say's i am getting 480i as my resolution either with HDMI or coaxial.
is there anything i can do without having to pay comcast even more money? i already have a cable bill of $150 a month!

Solution
The HD equivalent for any channel that is in your Comcast cable subscription package should be free. Why not just fix the problem the most logical way and upgrade to an HD receiver?

On the other hand, if you're internet connection can handle 1080p streaming to your satisfaction, why not just watch the programming you are interested in from Comcast's website? That would certainly look much better than a SD feed.

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

the TV is a native 1080 so it is downscaling to 480i i assume, so where would i find the cable box's upscaling settings?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
The HD equivalent for any channel that is in your Comcast cable subscription package should be free. Why not just fix the problem the most logical way and upgrade to an HD receiver?

On the other hand, if you're internet connection can handle 1080p streaming to your satisfaction, why not just watch the programming you are interested in from Comcast's website? That would certainly look much better than a SD feed.

Solution

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Ok checked all Box settings and all are set properly.
I tried hooking up a RCA cable from the box's vid out to the TV's rca vid in and it improved a good amount, this should not be so that puzzling
the HDMI method only looked slightly better than coaxial out.
are most HDMI cables pretty equal in performance?

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

This is going to be my best bet

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
HDMI is digital. Unless you are getting an unusual amount of bit errors on the cable, which is highly unlikely, all HDMI cables will look the same. With an SD video feed, I doubt you will see any noticeable improvement except in areas of high contrast, such as light or dark lettering on an opposite colored background.