Review Xfinity Flex review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
I've had two. I got one when they first came out and sent it back for four reasons, several of which still exist.

1. as stated, the remote buttons are very stiff. My take, they intend for this to be a remote that'll last a long time, while some other streaming box remotes are flimsy but that leads us to....
  2. The up-arrow button is 1/100th of an inch from the 'xfinity' button that takes you back to the main screen. I thoroughly enjoyed this functionality when after typing in my netflix email address and half my password, had my finger slip on the tough to push up arrow. Fourth time (after a coffee break) was the charm.
  3. Gross lack of 'competing' apps. This is why I sent the first one back.
  4. HBO and the other premiums require you buy them through comcast, not use it when you're already subscribed to it. I have a 2 year paid sub to Starz, but I can't use it on the flex. Same with a few other premiums I get good deals on or have prepaid for. This was the other reason why I sent the first one back. They're trying to build yet another walled garden.

I got another one because its free and has free peacock premium, which I wouldn't have paid for ever but will take for free.

However xfinity said Peacock would be available on 4/15. Its 4/17 and its still not there.

The epitome of hilarity is that if you want to run their Stream app on your own Roku player, after its out of beta they expect you to pay $5/mo to use their streaming service on the Roku you own. Some idiot just can't let go of those monthly equipment fees.

Were they to add things like vudu, sling, philo, disney+ and allow external subs to HBO, Starz, etc this could be a roku replacement for me. For folks who only use netflix and hulu, its a nice freebie for one tv and would serve well.

However, if Comcast maintains this as a walled garden with very limited apps and keeps trying to steer everyone into their walled garden, I don't see it being much of a hit. And if you get one, make sure to save all the packaging. Cuz we all know at some point comcast will start charging a fee for it or forcing you into some kind of bundle to use it. When that happens, this one will go back as well.

Reactions: Etudes
May 16, 2020
My frustrating experience with Flex: Last month I cancelled xfinity cable going to internet only. The rep was nice as can be and got the job done fairly quickly. My new bill for internet only was going to be $55 a month, absolutely no fees. I thanked her and almost as an afterthought she said "we'd like to send you a free streaming box called "Flex" and she gave a quick description of all of it's benefits. I declined but she persisted- "Nothing to lose, lots of free content, etc." So I relented and the box came almost immediately (scary fast). When I finally got the new bill (a month later) I'm greeted with a new monthly fee of $12.99 fee related to Flex (broadcast TV fee).. I called the rep last night and he was matter of fact about it as if I should have known that 'of course there would be a broadcast TV fee with flex'. A shame this is how they treat long time customers.

Apr 17, 2020
My frustrating experience with Flex: Last month I cancelled xfinity cable going to internet only. The rep was nice as can be and got the job done fairly quickly. My new bill for internet only was going to be $55 a month, absolutely no fees. I thanked her and almost as an afterthought she said "we'd like to send you a free streaming box called "Flex" and she gave a quick description of all of it's benefits. I declined but she persisted- "Nothing to lose, lots of free content, etc." So I relented and the box came almost immediately (scary fast). When I finally got the new bill (a month later) I'm greeted with a new monthly fee of $12.99 fee related to Flex (broadcast TV fee).. I called the rep last night and he was matter of fact about it as if I should have known that 'of course there would be a broadcast TV fee with flex'. A shame this is how they treat long time customers.

LOL, they tried the same on me. I looked into adding their tv cable services to my internet only plan, and looked at their stream packages that have local channels and cloud dvr.

At the end of the day, there were more fee's than I pay per month for Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and Starz combined, and I have an antenna and tivo.

Checked DIsh Network. Best they could do was ~$60/mo excluding regional sports fees (IIRC) for what I get with Sling @ $30.

So the folks padding things out with fees and wanting $12-15 for locals? Nope. They still don't get it.

You CAN have a service of internet + flex/stream without locals. That's what I have for $60/mo. 240Mb/s service + flex at no extra cost. You still get peacock, and theres some free content. Not much of real interest to me though.

Fun part with comcast is I've never been able to get them to give me solid actual monthly charges, always saying "it depends". Hmm, well, I don't buy anything unless I know what the price actually is.

T-Mobile said they were bringing their no cap 5G home internet to my town "soon", $50/mo. When they make that available, comcast is out of my house.

Jun 16, 2020
I don't think the Flex device supports Dolby Vision. Can't even find it on their official website. Can someone confirm?

StoneFX

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
You should report that to the BBB and to your state attorney general. It's completely deceptive on multiple levels if not straight up lying. They're supposed to list all fees before hand. Broadcast TV fee? For what? Their very own Flex website says you can't get broadcast TV with Flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.