Xonar DSX vs Xonar DGX?

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
So, with my new headphones I've come across some audio issues (audio going "flat"). While this has faded away (or my brain has learned to ignore it), this hasn't been the first time I've had audio issues with my computer.

ssddx suggested the Xonax DG/DGX, which would work lovely; it's cheap ($35 dollars), 96KHz, seems good.
However, I came across the DSX. It's $20 more, but it's 192KHz, 7.1 channel, two more DB SNR.

The problem here is... I don't know anything about sound cards. I know bitrates, sample rates, and the difference between mono and stereo. That's it. I have no idea what specs are advertising perks and have no real-world boosts.

So... what're REAL differences between the two? How do they impact the sound? I'd like to make the final choice between the two (the $20 isn't a gigantic deal, as long as it's worth it in the long run), but I'd LOVE to hear what you recommend and why.
I'd like to be able to hear "unique" sounds that I may not be able to hear with the Realtek chip in the mobo, like a distant explosion in-game, or quiet footsteps in a stealth game, or those subtle sounds in music.

One last question: How do they do with heat? My current mobo makes it so that I have to have the sound card behind (on the PCB side) of an R9 380. The new mobo I'm looking at will fix this, but until I can afford the $150, it'll have to be behind the 380.

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
sounds card never really get hot like GPU's and CPU's so not worry about heat. when it comes down to it a good sound card is only as good as your speakers and headphones.

it also depends on what you are using for sound now. if you are just using integrated audio then any of these 2 cards will be a big improvement and should not have to worry about and sound issues with either

captaincharisma

Distinguished
sounds card never really get hot like GPU's and CPU's so not worry about heat. when it comes down to it a good sound card is only as good as your speakers and headphones.

it also depends on what you are using for sound now. if you are just using integrated audio then any of these 2 cards will be a big improvement and should not have to worry about and sound issues with either

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Having a sound card close to a high power draw graphics card can and often do cause interference (odd sounding audio) on the sound card when the GPU is operating under heavy graphics load. Typically you want the GPU and dedicated sound card as far away from each other as possible to minimize that issue if it exists.

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
@Captaincharisma
I've only ever used the integrated sound, and up until now, <$30 headphones (as well as the earbuds that come with an iDevice).
Good to know about the heat, thank you!
But would I notice a difference between the DSX and DGX? My current headphones are advertised with 15Hz-24KHz, 32 ohms. Would I be able to hear "distant" sounds better/clearer with one or the other?

@Snipergod87
I'll do my best to keep the sound card away from the GPUs. Would having it close to the PSU be bad as well? Atm my only option is behind the 380, but with the new mobo I think I can have it in a slot farther away.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
dude it only took me like 2 seconds with a Google search to find a review explaining the differences plus it explained them on the asus website in the sound card section . the difference is the DGX has 5 or 6 channels and the DSX has 7 or 8 channels so if you are only going to be using headphones and not a surround sound system then just get the DGX. here is the review i found that has a table explaining the differences and here is a link to the asus website

http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-xonar-dgx-and-xonar-dsx-audio-cards-reviews_2176

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Sound_Cards/