XPS 12 - Where can I get recovery image

sunnys1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
Hi guys,
I have an XPS 12 which I updated to windows 10. Its been running terrible with very bad lag and is very unresponsive.

I've done all the usual drivers updates, checking dell system support etc, but no avail. Its outside the roll back to windows 8 period.

There is no recovery image of windows 8 and I can't make one through settings.

Its out of warranty so dell can't help me. Is there anyway I can get it working again? would be very happy to have windows 8.1 back on it.

[I do have some knowledge of computers, have built my own gaming pc etc, so not a complete novice and don't mind technical jargon]

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
yes! MS now allows you to freely download the windows 8.1 ISO, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Burn it to dvd or a usb stick using the old windows 7 tool, http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Install it, if it ask for a serial number just don't enter one. Remember to install the exact version of windows 8.1 that came with the laptop. Your key is stored in the bios and when windows tries to activate itself it will see it.

sunnys1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015

Thank you Jeff, Is there anyway I can find out my serial number from the pc as its currently running in case anything happens? This method does look the most promising and for that I'm very thankful :)

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Try produkey from nirsoft.net
It will tell you the windows key from windows files and if a modern laptop the one embedded in the bios or uefi

The Dell serial number will be on the label underneath the laptop
As well as stored in the firmware of the motherboard

It is likely the Dell make windows 8 recovery dvd or usb software is still on the hard disk accessed via the Dell tools unless the win 10 was a clean install or the recovery partition has been removed

Read the Dell user guide for proceedure

Regards
Mike Barnes

sunnys1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015

Hi mike, its not available via dell tools I have already tried that. The stuff from nirsoft is just what I need, many thanks :)

Will keep everyone posted how it goes

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
You took the free upgrade for windows 10, right? The key currently resides at microsoft, you don't have a tangible key. You need to make sure your machine is tied to a microsoft account logon. If you are still using an offline logon, make an account on outlook.com and tie your windows 10 logon to it. Then if you ever re install windows 10 in the future, you use that logon and it will pull the key from MS.

sunnys1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015

Hi Jeff, I used prod key got a windows 10 license key and a bios key. Currently getting the usb part installed using a different pc and will give it a go.As i don't want to use an outlook acc.

sunnys1

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015

Yup,
Formatted HDD.deleted all paritions.
Just installed windows 8.1, everything seems to be working like a charm. Do i even need drivers?