Xps 15 or Macbook pro

Aug 7, 2018
Greetings,
I am looking for a laptops for my needs.The current choices are macbook pro i7 vs xps 15 i7.
Now, I am a 2nd year undergraduate student in physics and astronomy.
Currently I own a Windows laptop which is 5 years old and still runs good for all the basic tasks such as web browsing and multimedia.
Now I really need a laptop for my needs and want to ask the people here to help me out .
1)My main use is going to be to do study, basically to read a lot of PDF files (books,journals), research (mainly use web , multiple tabs open) and write paper

2)From last year I started learning programming (was taught in my University)and really enjoyed it.Whenever I do have free time ,I go to my college labs to practice and to learn new things but it does have it's limitations.

3) Running programs such as Matlab, mathematica,latex and some other softwares .Do all the software needed for a physics and astronomy student available on mac.

4) Video editing. Now I am not a professional videographer but I do like to record videos for college projects and college programs and festivals.Most of my video edits are basic and are 5-6 min 4k clips.I also edit photos as I do some astrophotography.
Now most of the country intensive tasks is done in my friend's pc (yes,he built a whole pc in form/hostel) but I do feel like that I have saved enough money and also don't want to trouble him anymore.
I don't game on my laptop and was looking for a machine with 7+ hours of battery life as well as good build quality. Now I know that both are good machines but what should I buy .one is upgradable and other is not but generally From people I know Macs have lasted longer for them.For the last week was I continuously on both r/Dell and r/apple and found out that an average XPS user is facing way more problems out of the box.Since as these are both expensive machines I don't want any problems. Lastly Dell XPS 15 price in my country is equivalent to macbook pro price in USA .Now these may seem like a weird comparison but hear me out ,if I decide to buy a Mac my friend who is coming here next month can bring it for me , because Apple has an international warranty whereas I have to buy xps only from my country since if I get it from us and if it turns out faulty I have to shell out lot of money.

Solution
If you would be taking it with you to school, I would say the Macbook Pro for portability and build quality Macs are hard to beat.
I may not be the right person to answer this because I am not a huge fan of Macs but if you need a portable durale laptop with good battery life choose the Macbook Pro If you need one that is more powerful and has a larger selection of software and customization options choose the XPS. Keep in mind Macs are built to last longer but the PC can be upgraded a little bit easier. So it would be your choice based on what's more important to you.

mdsimmons1118

Proper
Aug 6, 2018
If you would be taking it with you to school, I would say the Macbook Pro for portability and build quality Macs are hard to beat.
I may not be the right person to answer this because I am not a huge fan of Macs but if you need a portable durale laptop with good battery life choose the Macbook Pro If you need one that is more powerful and has a larger selection of software and customization options choose the XPS. Keep in mind Macs are built to last longer but the PC can be upgraded a little bit easier. So it would be your choice based on what's more important to you.

Solution