XPS 15 versus Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (Gaming version)

Leopard 600p

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Hey Tom's community,

So I've managed to make a decision on my college/gaming laptop. Well, I'm stuck between two laptops with good specs, but I don't know which is better.

I've chosen the XPS 15 with the following specs:
- i5-6300HQ Quad Core
- 8GB RAM (Plan to upgrade)
- Nvidia 960M w/ 2GB GDDR5
- 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive
- 1080 Display
- Supposedly 10 hour battery life

The Dell Inspiron 15 7000:
- i7-6700HQ Quad Core
- 16GB RAM
- Nvidia 960M w/ 4GB GDDR5
- 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage
- 1080p display
- Supposedly 5 hour battery life

I'm wondering which would be best for me. Battery life is a concern since I will be using it in class, so maybe 4-5 hours might be enough. Also, I wonder which is better: the i7 or the i5. And, on a side note, will there be any significant difference in 2GB more of VRAM?

Thanks for helping me make a decision!

Leo

Solution
You're comparing a Mercedes to a cheap Chevy. XPS is Dell's premium line of computers. Inspirons and Latitudes are a dime a dozen.

My advice is to get a laptop with Windows 10 running on an SSD (Solid State Drive). They're faster than Dell's hard disk + 32GB SSD configuration because the SSD is usable only for file caching. If you're looking for inexpensive, get an XPS-15Z that's been upgraded with a high-quality 500GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. I sell them for $400.

chozoxecho

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
im guessing the xps is cheaper ? personally i would go with that one and only reason is you dont need the extra horse power to run 99% of games and it will last longer as in towards battery life goes -also you get more storage --- and for what processor 'the i7 is better but keep in mind is more of a power hog - also the video ram is mostly just for external screens say if you wanted to get a hub and hook up a multiple monitor set up but it can help towards resolution when working with screens 40'' and up

Balrog49

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
You're comparing a Mercedes to a cheap Chevy. XPS is Dell's premium line of computers. Inspirons and Latitudes are a dime a dozen.

My advice is to get a laptop with Windows 10 running on an SSD (Solid State Drive). They're faster than Dell's hard disk + 32GB SSD configuration because the SSD is usable only for file caching. If you're looking for inexpensive, get an XPS-15Z that's been upgraded with a high-quality 500GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. I sell them for $400.

Solution