XPS 15 vs Sager NP5135

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
So, my old Dell i9300 is beginning to crap out on me, so I've been looking at some of the recent releases from Dell and XoticPC. Right now, I'm considering the XPS 15 and the Sager NP5135.

Below are the configurations I'm looking at:

1. XPS 15
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
* Intel® Core™ i5-560M (2.66GHz, 4 threads, turbo boost up to 3.2GHz, 3M cache)
* 6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
* Backlit Keyboard - English
* NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420M 1GB graphics with Optimus
* 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
* Silver Anodized Aluminum 15.6" FHD (1080p) B+RGLED Display with Facial Recognition
* Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
* Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
* 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
* JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
* Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200
* McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 30-Day Trial
* 92 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
* 1 Year Basic Service Plan
* Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
* Dell Bluetooth 3.0

2. Sager NP5135
* 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
* Standard Dead Pixel Policy
* Intel® Core™ i5-560M, 2.66-3.2GHz, (3MB L3 cache)
* IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
* nVidia GT 425M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
* 8,192MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) - Special!
* Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
* 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
* Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
* Internal Bluetooth + EDR
* Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
* Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
* Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
* Integrated Fingerprint Reader
* No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only (gonna get W7 Pro through MSDNAA)
* 3 Year Labor 1 Year Parts, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Tech Support

- I'll mainly be using this laptop for school (AutoCAD, Solidworks) and some gaming (WoW, MW2, etc).

Thanks for the input!

*EDIT*: Took out Envy 14, XPS 14 configurations as 720p isn't quite enough.

I've never done any research on Sager and this name keeps coming up in these forums, maybe i should look into it. Thanks.

They are a good company. Their chasis are built by a Taiwanese company called Clevo. They are really into building some of the best price/performance gaming machines out there (they also offer a bunch of midrange systems as well). There are also a lot of companies that resell these laptops such as Xotic PC, Eurocom and Pro-star. Some others that have recently picked up the brand include I Buy Power and CyberPower. If you want a little more info on them, the NBR forum has a good (though somewhat outdated) thread on them: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/264311-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info-read-before-posting.html

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
So, I've been reading some forums where XPS 15 owners talk about their new babies. It looks like I'll probably have to apply some thermal paste to the CPU/CPU, depending on how crappy Dell's application is. Also, the official Dell forum lists problems with the webcam not being recognized and the USB 3.0 not working properly... :3

krilos on YouTube has a few videos showing vids of him playing various games. Of course, he has the i7-820QM and 8 GB of RAM, but he claims that temperatures don't get TOO hot (though outgoing air does get warm). Of course, he DID get a cooling pad.

I guess I'm just thinking.. i7 + better graphics + more heat vs i5 + okay graphics. I think Dell will have a "sale" on the XPS on Black Friday. They have an E-Value code with 6 GB of RAM for $899, I think. I was hoping to decide by then. Please post any constructive comments here. ^^

*EDIT*: What might be the advantages of waiting until Q1 2011 for the Sandy Bridge?

G

That's some good research you're doing. I think it's great how people post comments and videos about their experience with laptops.

About applying better thermal-paste, I'm wondering if this will void the warranty?

As for the GPU, make a list of games that you might want to play (e.g. Starcraft 2 in high detail and ~30fps) and see which GPU fits the bill. Even if you aren't a gamer, you need some performance basis to choose that GPU. As for i7 + 6GB RAM ddr3, i think it's a good start. You can always upgrade those. The RAM should be 1x4GB + 1x2GB, so in year-2 you can replace that 2GB stick and check eBay for better-cheaper i7.

When Sandy Bridge comes out, expect the same high-price you're seeing now with a top Core i7.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I wonder how this stacks up to the XPS. Aside from the lower resolution screen, slower HD and 425M vs 435M, this ASUS N53JQ has those Bang & Olufsen speakers which appears to be competition for the JBL?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11596212&cm_mmc=BCEmail_OnlineOffersB2CNoB-_-Focus-_-32-_-AsusNotebook

I guess the above link is comparable to the XPS 14 configuration I've listed, except for the screen size. Also, the Dell comes with a free, albeit probably crappy Sony camera and costs $100 more.

If anybody is wondering why I like Dell, it's because they send a tech out to service your system at your home. It's a lot better, imo, than having to send them your laptop and wait for it to come back. I've heard stories of people waiting weeks or months for their laptop to be returned.

G

In Eric Cartman's own words "Ouch U Breakin' My Balls" ;) It has 2 negatives, the screen & 5400rpm drive. But if price is an issue, then...

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I think right now, the main thing I'm looking for is 1080p. Does anybody have laptop suggestions around $1000 that have 1080p, dedicated graphics, Core i5/i7? The Dell seems good, but hearing more and more problems with heat possibly due to poor thermal paste application by Dell... though most of those are due to the i7.

For HP/Asus, if you need a laptop serviced, do you have to send it to them? Do they lend you a replacement? Would they let you install the component yourself?

Here's a review for that one: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4027/clevo-b5130-geforce-gt-425m-1080p/1

If Dell had never released the XPS 15, this Clevo unit would probably have garnered an Editors' Choice award. It has a solid value proposition and brings a lot to the table. The problem is that Dell did release the XPS 15, and it consistently does everything else just a little bit better. Dell's 1080p screen may be a $150 upgrade, but the XPS 15 starts with comparable specs and a lower price, and the difference winds up being a wash. Dell also lets you upgrade the XPS 15 with a 740QM or better and offers a faster GPU in the form of the GeForce GT 435M, and the XPS' JBL speaker system easily trumps the Clevo speakers.

Ultimately, we would encourage consumers to comparison shop between the two notebooks. The B5130M is one of the better Clevo units we've tested, and ordering from AVADirect gets you worlds more flexibility with the components you can configure the system with along with the better customer service that can come from going with a smaller vendor. We know plenty of readers disliked the Dell aesthetics, and perhaps the Clevo system will win a few points there.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Ah... the Anandtech review said it had pretty poor build quality. But another review done by an owner said it's a pretty good laptop overall.

link: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559931

As I continue my search, it seems that 1080p limits my options a lot. How drastic is the switch from 1080p back to 720p? Btw, xoticpc has a freebie sale from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. If I'm gonna grab the Sager, that might be a good time to do so and get a free USB flash drive or a free wireless mouse. O_O

*EDIT*: I've been taking a closer look at the Sager. It looks like a really good laptop, though the video reviews I found were only for the older 5125. How much better is an aluminum chassis than a plastic one? (Heat, sturdiness, etc)

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Just go with the reviews of owners, and as far as i asked to the owners of sager 5135, all are happy, if you go with the reviews of these websites, then you are totally depening on them, i mean gamespot reviewed Fallout new vegas as 7.5 but i would say it is as good as fallout 3, so it should have gotten atleast 8.5, same for Army of two, they gave 7.5 rating i will rate as 9. So just dont depend on these marketing monopolies, you dont know whats behind their reviews. Like i found some websites only preferring nvidia over ati, but infact both are great and almost equal. They are just marketing monopolies.

And anandtech didnt write poor or bad, they write "Conclusion: Good but not Great" means 8/10 which is still a good for 9/10 or 10/10 you will have to spend at least 1200$ so considering the price you cant go wrong here, plus they are comparing it with 1000$+ XPS 15 so it is obvious that it will lack behind it as xps contains GT435m in it.

Anandtech only mentioned that the build was on the weaker side and that was only because it's an all plastic chassis. As far as durability goes, it all depends on how you treat your laptop. The Sager in my signature is the same way, it's all plastic. However, it's pushing 3 and a half years of solid use. It's gone with me to and from class and from school to home and has held up rather well. If you treat it right, a plastic body will last as long as you need it to.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, I guess so. My plastic Dell has survived almost 5.5 years without many problems. I've got a little crack on one side from when it slipped and hit a table, and the palm rest and touchpad buttons are a little worn down from gaming.. and the screen has lots of vertical lines.. but it's still mostly alive. :D

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
And... I'm gonna ask one of those facepalm questions. Do you think 4 GB is enough for 64-bit W7 and some CAD work (Solidworks / AutoCAD)?

Also saw some G-Skill 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1333 on sale for $90 on Newegg. I know the Sager is limited to 1066 but would that be a problem? I don't usually upgrade things on my computers, but it seems like a good deal. The xoticpc upgrade is $100.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Yeah, I was just thinking of buying some RAM from newegg as opposed to buying it from xoticpc.

So.. I talked to a Dell rep. I can grab the XPS 15 for ~$100 more than the Sager. Key differences:

1. Sager has GT425m, versus Dell's GT420m.
2. Dell has B+GR LED screen, while Sager has a "normal" one.
3. Sager config has 8 GB, while Dell has 6 GB.
4. Dell's audio is supposedly the best people have heard, while Sager has subpar, oddly-placed ones.
5. Dell has in-home warranty versus mail-in for Sager.
6. Sager has 6300 wireless, while Dell only goes up to 6200.
7. Sager is cheaper.
8. Dell's webcam appears to be better than Sager's, though that's not really important.

Looking to make a purchase today while deals are still hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.