Yahoo! Ups Data Retention Period to 1.5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
soooo... bad for the privacy paranoids, good for those who enjoy getting search results that match their search habits.. and ultimately beneficial to advertisers and in turn for yahoo revenue from advertising? or have did i completely misunderstand what this data retention is for?

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
LOL, this is for Yahoo search? Has anyone used that in the last decade?
Enjoy your more targeted ads based on your email contents.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
They want to sell more, I want to be served adds tailored to my tastes. Win-Win.

They want to sell more, they want to track me, I use private browsing or sandboxing, different login names, they track my IP and try to serve me the adds tailored to me and my hidden browsing habits, even when I am not in the mood or when I am not alone. Win-Lose, they win, I loose.

IPv4 depleted, IPv6 is out, every device with proper IP, not NAT-able by design. They cross reference my browsing and buying habits and times and usernames and finally decide I am not worth being served adds, at all, but also no content at all. I show interest in thermonuclear weapons suddenly. Lose-Lose *evil laughter*

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Thought this was something to do with how long they store emails on their online service. After I lost all my emails on a yahoo account, I'll never go back to using yahoo for emails. Granted, I did not log in for a few months, but I was busy so there.

At least gmail doesn't delete your emails if you don't login for several months or even several years (one would hope)

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
"extending the period of data retention in order to provide customers with a more “robust, individualized experience.”

Yeah right, Hows about just telling the truth, men in black hats paid you a visit and told you to keep it longer in case they want to look someone up they are investigating. Seig Heil.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]soooo... bad for the privacy paranoids, good for those who enjoy getting search results that match their search habits.. and ultimately beneficial to advertisers and in turn for yahoo revenue from advertising?[/citation]
LoL, what? Do you really browse the Internet for the sole purpose of the advertising? Personally, I don't even see 95%+ of the ads on the internet (Opera user script), and I don't click on any of the ones that do make it through. Maybe that makes me a jerk, but I never do anything because I like the ads. If I watch the superbowl, its for the football, not the ads. As for search, I don't need personalized search, I don't think I've ever searched the same thing twice (unless I forgot to bookmark an important link). I'm not sure what personal data Yahoo! or any provider could be collecting that would be of any benefit to me personally. As for things like location, when I want a restaurant, I search "Chinese Food in AnyCity, USA", I don't need Google knowing my exact GPS location just to find a damn restaurant (although they get it anyway if I use Google Maps on my phone). From now on, I'm going to plug addresses manually into my old GPS from search results, no more spying on me. And the phone goes into airplane mode unless I'm making a call, no more tracking my movements via cell tower.

Too many people these days ask "why not" when it comes to some corporation spying on them and invading their privacy. What ever happened to asking "why" first?

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If anyone is concerned about the search engines recording their search history then they should use Startpage which does not record any data about the user.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I love how these corporate "officers" claim that the data retention is in the "interest" of the users (consumers) LOL although considering how dull most people are today I figure they will actually swallow that line of BS hook, line, and sinker.

G

this country keeps data to long no such thing as privacy anymore like being on big brother record record record just stupid delete the dam serach you dont need it what use is it anyway really i dont click on darn adverts half of umm are likely to be scam enter my address go away with you

Status
Not open for further replies.