Solved! Yamaha Amplifier turns itself on randomly when plugged in

Dec 10, 2018
Hello,

I have a YAMAHA amplifier which is behaving little strange since past few months.

When the amplifier is connected to any socket and plugged on, even though its in switch off mode, it starts automatically. I have to remove the plug completely to stop this happening.

Also, lets say there are 4-5 devices connected to a spike guard, with each having its own on/off control. Its the same issue. Even when the amplifier switch, which is tuned off on spike guard and remaining ones are kept on, which controls TV and other devices, it still turns on itself and starts playing last used mode.

Any help to solve this will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
KM

Solution
I'd suspect that the Power Switch on the Yamaha is faulty/dirty, and it would be the first thing I'd rule out (other than the remote is faulty and aimed at it..hide the remote and proceed if still an issue). Try a bit of a spray contact cleaner (Google it) ideally in the backside of the switch (you'd have to remove the amp cover if you are comfortable with that), and work it a few times before powering it on and trying the result. Do not flood it, and allow it to evaporate ahead of powering it up again as well.

dudio

Admirable
I'd suspect that the Power Switch on the Yamaha is faulty/dirty, and it would be the first thing I'd rule out (other than the remote is faulty and aimed at it..hide the remote and proceed if still an issue). Try a bit of a spray contact cleaner (Google it) ideally in the backside of the switch (you'd have to remove the amp cover if you are comfortable with that), and work it a few times before powering it on and trying the result. Do not flood it, and allow it to evaporate ahead of powering it up again as well.

Solution
Dec 10, 2018

I agree dudio. Could be the exact reason. The power switch on amplifier isn't functioning. It doesn't turn on the amplifier. And I guess some other keys on amplifier aren't functioning as well.

I will show it to a technician and get it cleaned. Or else will spray a bit of WD40 myself and check the resut.

Dec 10, 2018

Noted. Will get the contact cleaner and try it out.