Question Yamaha HTR 3064 won't turn on after warning about speaker

May 7, 2020
Last edited:

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
How do you know the caps are bad? I don't see anything burnt or showing any signs of thermal failure (dark areas). Was there an event that triggered this? Moving the speakers, etc...? There are several fuses to check as well. Are any open? Main fuse and also there should be fuses on each amp section. The amp faults without any speakers connected? No lights on?

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
The marked area is the main power supply. The fuse looks solid. Typically, when there's a speaker cable short, the damage occurs in the amp stage and not the power supply, although the fault can blow the fuse. Can you take a close-up of the larger device mounted to the amp heat sink? I suspect this may be an IC (integrated circuit) amp.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
https://ibb.co/VMCXGkF
That's the shot which shows the amp IC output devices. You'd really need the schematic to service this amp, in my opinion. I've had good luck with these types of amps (examined myself), but not without a schematic in some cases. I've even seen some amps with faulted speaker protection relays. The 2 big caps near the transformer are the output caps for your main speakers. The larger of the 3 black rectangular "boxes" near those caps (next to the speaker terminals) is the speaker protection relay. I doubt it, but look on the board near this device to see if there are any small fuses or fusible link. We still don't know where or how the fault occurred: out of the blue, or moving or re-connecting the speakers when the amp was on. The fault may have occurred internally or from a voltage spike or lightning strike. Was the unit connected to an AC line filter/ spike protector? You may be better off getting a quote from your local Yamaha Servce Center.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020
https://ibb.co/cbv7dgw
Please see above picture. I don’t see a fuse on this board. However not sure what a fusible link is. Basically the amp warned about the speaker cables and then turned off by itself. I tried it on again and it did once and then won’t turn back on again. The unit was connected to an ac power board which has an inbuilt fuse in it.
Just debating if it is gonna be worth taking this unit for service as with bit more investment I can buy a new one. Thanks for your patience and support.