Yamaha YSP 1400 can't learn Samsung

CrankyBear

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I have a Yamaha YSP 1400 soundbar that paired nicely with my very old Hitachi plasma TV. I just bought a Samsung UN65KS8000 smart TV. Apparently the soundbar is having trouble with the remote - I cannot get it to learn the first setting, Mute. On my remote, Mute is attained by pressing down on the Volume key (as opposed to toggling up and down to raise/lower the volume). Any ideas?

CrankyBear

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
After much googling, I've determined the answer. Unlike my old TV, where I had the soundbar learn the remote, the reverse it true with the new Samsung TVs. The TV learns the soundbar. I set my sound setting from TV Speaker to Audio Out/Optical. I then went to Source -> Universal Remote, and chose New Device. I then told it I was looking for a Yamaha soundbar. It entered a Power Test, where it failed to do anything 3x. It asked me for the specific model number. After I entered that, it gave me a list, where I found my model. I then entered the Power Test again, which succeeded, and my remote was finally paired to the soundbar. Whew!