Yet another guy looking for a new lappy

Arpan Gupta

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
1. What is your budget?
current convertion rate from inr to usd says $663.920 (40k in inr)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
not sure. not too big, not too small. 14 inch or a little bigger.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
something above 720p. i dont care about 1080p.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
80% desktop replacement, 20% portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
absolute minimum of 3 hours. i expect ~5 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
not too much. while i DO expect it to be able to atleast RUN any new game, i couldnt care less if i dont get absolute high graphics and resolution. mid graphics, with mid resolution and mid fps is fine enough for me.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
not much video editing. a bit photoshop yes. a lot of c++ though (i'm a student)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 gb minimum.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
no websites honestly. im hoping to buy something from a brick-and-mortar store. if not, then my dad has a friend who can deal with the online shopping business.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
long. loooong time. atleast 6-7 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
dell is preferable. but can go with any brand honestly. except sony. i just dont like that company.

13. What country do you live in?
India.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

1.some sort of dedicated graphics is a MUST.
2.i dont care for touch screens. if getting a non-touch screen means a bit of reduction in price, go for it. i dont care for any other gimmicks either. i dont care for looks too. this laptop is going to be PURE function.
3.im assuming that if im doing something light, or even playing a game that the intel hd graphics can handle, then the dedicated gpu wont be used, so as to save on battery life and heat? i mean, i CAN turn it off and on at my will, right?
4. it would be LOVELY if the keyboard is a full one, with a proper number pad and all.
5. basically, i need help to reduce choices to 1 or 2 specific laptops.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
If you find such configuration for 600$-700$ give me a call.. id be glad to buy one as well.

There is few things that can be hard to find within this price range:
1) Full scale keyboard ... as far as i know its available at 17" models.
2) Bellow 1K$ the most you will get is either a GeForce GT 820M or some AMD equivalent which is like low-end desktop card... dedicated card on such config is a joke... new Iris or Intel HD 5000 is so close in terms of the performance so its just a waste of additional energy.

So if you cut this full size keyboard and dedicated card then you have plenty of options starting from like 250$ all the way up