You Can Now Rent Photoshop for $35

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I really wish someone would release something reasonably priced that can actually contend with CS, to finally bring adobe down to earth.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]I really wish someone would release something reasonably priced that can actually contend with CS, to finally bring adobe down to earth.[/citation]
Check out GIMP.

...and it has the best price of all...

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
GIMP is free but it is broken down into modules that you have to navigate in and out of. The learning curve is steep. Considering it is free it is still a pretty good deal.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Check out GIMP....and it has the best price of all...[/citation]
GIMP is alright. It's not as good as Photoshop, and the interface is quite a bit more clumsy, so I can see why a professional would pay for Photoshop.

But yes, GIMP is free, and for that price, it is far better than Photoshop for casual users. As an amateur, I can do everything I want to in GIMP, and I can do it without the guilt of pirating Photoshop.

G

It better be rent to own. If you rent it long enough to pay for the package, you should get the paid for package because, well...you done paid for it.

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]$2600...and people wonder why these get pirated?[/citation]
Yea they get pirated and whatever but the Adobe Suite is different to let's say games because big enterprises/schools etc will buy them. :D

G

Just another company jumping on the bandwagon of.. hey lets put a bunch of useless stuff on this program and then sell it to them every couple of months like the video game companies do. Honestly they are just trying despreately to stem the tide of piracy of their software but in the end they will never win.. everytime you make a security system you say cannot be cracked someone will bring you down to earth.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
$2,600 is cheap. If I have a graphic design company or an ad agency, I'd probably be paying my designer that much every week. The amount of time saved (and therefore money) over even one year using PS vs some other package like GP more than makes up for the price. Many, many times over.

G

$35 month x 24 months = $840 per version. That is not too bad really. I think I will do that.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
This is a good step from Adobe, it will give customers more choices on how they want to consume the product, moreover this could potentially increase the customers’ base where some will prefer renting over pirating.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Check out GIMP....and it has the best price of all...[/citation]
GIMP is a great piece of software, but like another said, it's incredibly clumsy. And it also doesn't support many of the huge features that artists have come to rely on in PS like GPGPU functions and many tools that do extremely long and tedious tasks in seconds.

But PS is just one aspect of the Creative Suite. You're forgetting about Illustrator, Acrobat, Flash, Dreamweaver, and fireworks, all which are nearly required to do professional web development work in a truly diverse environment. I also have friends that do Video Editing, who couldn't live without Premiere pro, but could certainly live without the pricetag.

Also, since Adobe has such a stranglehold, almost all game asset texture exporter plugins are configured to work only with photoshop. It's a huge PITA.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
if you intent to use the program long term then the renting is a bad idea as it will cost you more than the produce it's self if you were to just outright purchase it.

and these are not the types of programs that you rent out like you would a movie. People use these programs long term and will often spend years in school learning how to use these programs.

if you need it short term, get the 30 day trial, it's free.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wanted to add, adobe could make a lot of money if they were to reduce the price of their programs to like $20 or less each. The software when sold is 100% profit, also consider this, photoshop of just as popular as windows

If it was priced low, many more people will buy it, to a point where at the end of the day, they would have net more money.

Remember, software has no production cost.

I can send you 5000 copies of a house that I built in maya 3d and it would not cost me anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.