Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I just bought an HP laptop and have only used it around 5 times. After watching a Netflix show on it for about 30 minutes, the laptop has crashed a few times with the message:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart - System_Service_Exception".

The laptop I have is from Best Buy, more specifically the:

HPPavilion 17334 Laptop AMD A8Series 4GB Memory 750GB Hard DriveAnodized Silver17e
Model #: 17-e113dx

The only thing I did hardware wise was put in an additional 4 GB stick of RAM to make 8 GB total.

Could this be a memory issue? Is this common? What else could it be?

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

I would really hate to stop watching Netflix on it. That is part of the reason why I got the laptop, to watch movies and shows when I'm not at my desktop.

What virus scanner do you recommend? Is AVG Free okay?

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Avast or AVG free editions should be good options... but seems that the blue screen is caused by graphic drivers... other users have reported games causing it, so it seems to be related to video and/or bad usage of virtual memory. I'd suggest updating drivers with SlimDrivers and setting a healthy amount of virtual memory... if you don't already have enough, set it as System Managed or at; minimum; 50% and maximum 300% of your Physical RAM. After updating drivers, disable all of SlimDrivers automatic functions or remove it.

The issue is fully discussed in the thread... check it out.
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Blue Screen
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1949123/system-service-exception-blue-screen.html

SlimDrivers
http://www.driverupdate.net/

Change the size of virtual memory
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
One thing I noticed on HWMonitor from CPUID. The CPU runs at 80 degrees Celcius (while idle). WOW! That is extremely hot, correct?

My mom has a slightly different model and CPU, but her CPU runs at 30-40 degrees Celcius. My desktop runs around 40 degrees. Should I take this laptop back?

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
It's hot alright but not extremely.. different CPU can run hot for reasonable periods, some can't... If you check your BIOS data, check which temps are within a safe range. My mobo for example can run up to 85 C before giving a hot warning, and CPUs can run hotter. I'd suggest another System Information program but even the BIOS would be more accurate. The type of software can show unreal temps so better make sure those 80ºC are real... if they are, 80C at idle, would certainly increase under load... and that would be a good reason to take it back.

80C will turn off the pc.

Can you post the HWInfo - Sensor readings? See if we can spot what's causing it

Have you overclocked your cpu?

Turn down Vcore by 0.1V, turn cpu fan up to 1500rpm

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
i7Baby, somehow I lost track of this thread and just found it again. Sorry about that. I know it is months later, but I have really been trying to fix this PC the past few days. Did a complete reformat/reinstall and got BSOD after installing the first 50 Windows updates.

BlueScreenView showed that ntoskrnl.exe was the "Caused by Driver".

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

First, 80 C is too hot, system fan needs to be cleaned on the inside of its case. Shutting down with that message I would say you need to reload the whole system, generally you can reload by pressing f11 at startup and reload to factory settings, NOTE: save all your personal data, doc, pic etc. first so you can put them back after reload.
Cleaning the fan requires a complete disassembly of the laptop usually youtube will have a video on how to do this. Its a pretty complicated job

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hmm I should note that it was this hot when then laptop was brand new from the store shelf. I made the stupid mistake of not using it much at first and not knowing the severity of the problem. Should have taken it back.

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
If you can still take it back to store you might want to do that. But reloading is fairly easy. Getting to the fan to clean it is not for a novice. If you know someone with experience you should have then clean out the inside of the fan case (lint builds up on the fins inside the fan case, no air flow = hot) and reapply thermal paste properly this requires a complete disassembly to get to the fan. Then reload the system. you can check for a recovery partition by pressing f11 at start up. Some computers use esc at startup then f11. I hope this helps