Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I just bought an HP laptop and have only used it around 5 times. After watching a Netflix show on it for about 30 minutes, the laptop has crashed a few times with the message:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart - System_Service_Exception".

The laptop I have is from Best Buy, more specifically the:

HPPavilion 17334 Laptop AMD A8Series 4GB Memory 750GB Hard DriveAnodized Silver17e
Model #: 17-e113dx

The only thing I did hardware wise was put in an additional 4 GB stick of RAM to make 8 GB total.

Could this be a memory issue? Is this common? What else could it be?

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
That video should work since it is for a hp 17. some model differences do exist but without seeing your I don't know. As you look at what he's doing you should be able to tell if the comp he's working on matches yours. there's a lot of screws to keep track of, since they are of mixed sizes. and a lot of connectors to carefully take off and put back on. When you get to the fan there are usually 4 tiny screws on top of it's case, take them out and clean the fins inside then clean off the old heat sink compound and put a new thin coat on the cpu and heatsink. I hope the video helps and good luck. REMEMBER TO PLUG THE FAN BACK IN!

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I know the BSOD isn't related to a dirty system, because it starting doing this almost instantly after purchasing it brand new from the store. Is there a chance they just botched the thermal compound application though?

I am going to attempt this, but I am going read up and watch some videos before. Thank you for all your help on this!

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
They may have botched the compound job which would explain the overheating, maybe even have loose heatsink screws that hold it tight to the cpu, but if you have to dig into it that far you may as well check inside the fan too. As far as the BSOD, a reload could help. I'm not convinced that overheating would do that, usually computer will just shut down without warning.