Youtube 60fps Videos Lagging GTX780M (chrome & firefox)

Vzor

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
I have been having troubles with hd 60fps youtube videos on my system. It is a high end laptop with a gtx780m (also intel hd 4600, more on this later) and an i7 with 16 gig ram. While playing, the video drops frames and lags. The issue occurs with 60fp 1080p videos, but the situation is made much worse with 4k 60fps, it is basically a slide show. Just to get something out of the way before it comes up, I tired disabling hardware acceleration in chrome://plugins and it did not help.

I believe it is using my intel HD 4600 instead of my gtx780m and it is running out of vram. I downloaded a tool that displayed GPU load and it confirms my suspicion. If I go to chrome://gpu/ I see that it only sees my intel hd gpu, even if I click "run with graphics possessor" and choose my gtx. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Also why aren't other people having this issue?

Vzor

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
It would seem that you are right. Looks like I grossly over diagnosed the issue. After letting it buffer it played fine. Thank you for the quick solution. -Never mind, see next post

Vzor

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014

Scratch that, 4k playback is much better but 1080p@45-60FPS is still laggy. It is not with all videos, but it occurs with many of them. If I right click on the video and click stats for nerds, it shows that it is dropping frames.