YouTube is Considering Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
if this happens at laest a 90% of the users will just stop using it and not pay for it. Even though they will do somethign like XBL. Chosen offers. And if you think abotu it in order to not loose steam and rates of ppl searching they would start by subs only to ppl that want to upload videos. Then also comments only from subs and so on till they sink into the subs more and more ppl for the dmg control. if not youtube is daed and I dont have them for that stupid.

One way or the other its bound to need subs even if now or in 10 years. No high profile page/services will be free.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
another reason for piracy to flourish.so go ahead youtube and make folks pay and they will all leave cause who will want to pay for youtube ?
not me.

G

I don't see it as changing considerable, from what I gathered, all the free stuff is still free, they will be adding a subscription component for people who want to watch movies/tv series that hopefully the larger studios will have no problem releasing to them now that they will be getting revenue from more than just adds.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
As long as the two remain separated from one another (user-created content and media-publishing companies), I have no problem with it. If the subscription fee covers viewing anything off of YouTube, then they can watch millions of people pull their plug from viewing the site.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
youtube is probably the one place where you can type in "funny accidents" and be entertained for 4 hours straight. im not paying not even 5 bucks because creating a payapal is too much work

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
End of all my content if I have to pay for it.

I'll simply take all my content down and delete my account.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
End of all my content if I have to pay for it.

I'll simply take all my content down and delete my account.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Aye, Facebook is also thinking about charging it's members. Fastest way to watch You tube fail is to charge for subs.

G

I'm about ready to create a site called www.tubeyou.com. No guess as to what type of service model I would startup =)

1.Free video hosting (shocking)
2.Minimal advertising without ANY flash adds to slow down user's browsers and bog down internet connections.
3.Drop flash player and find a new method that doesn't eat all of someones CPU to play a shitty SD video.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
@shuffman37: I'd be really interested in knowing what your hosting provider for that would be, because that's a truckload of bandwidth and speed you'll be needing there. Unless you happen to have unlimited money supplies?

I don't think YouTube could consider subscriptions, really. The site isn't associated with that in the public's mind; that kind of business decision is one that should happen at inception. Later on it's a recipe for disaster.

I think the real reason behind this, however, is pressure from media conglomerates.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I think YouTube is in drastic need for overhaul as well as the rest of the internet IN RELATION TO the laws of each country. Unfortunately there is so much crap that is out there, cached and what not that it would take YEARS to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.