Yum, Tasty: HP Mini Info Snacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The XP edition only comes with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB HDD, but the Mobile internet edition comes with Linux, 2GB RAM, and a 250GB HDD starting at $50 less? Is this just the cost of the XP tax added in, because that's an insane difference in hardware.

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Yes, that's the cost of Windows, and this is why MS HATES netbooks, and is putting maximum specifications on them. After all, think about it, a netbook (hardware+software) sells for less than a full copy of Windows, so they have to sell Windows VERY cheap to get netbook makers to use it, instead of Linux. They're terrified that people will start using netbooks for a primary computing device (and, really, if all you do is browse the web, send/read email, and work on documents, you could... though it wouldn't be too fast, yet. Give it a year or two of processor improvements, and they would be.)

But hey, this is GREAT. See, with Microsoft's netbook limitations, you can't put more than 1 GB on a netbook. So, HP has the non-MS netbook. The cost between 1 and 2 GB isn't that much, for RAM, and, since they save on the Windows license, and are putting Linux on it, they are passing the savings onto the users. Is this the first major company to actually do that? I mean, wow... THANK YOU HP!

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Am I the only one who realises that you're better off getting the Linux version just for the specs? I mean why not just pay less for Linux, then just hoist the sails for a bit of XP action? ARR me hearties

G

It will also run better on Linux since XP probably takes up more resources...

G

Another option, why not get the linux version and install your own copy of XP on it? A better price, better hardware and you can still have xp.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tripkirk[/nom]Another option, why not get the linux version and install your own copy of XP on it? A better price, better hardware and you can still have xp.[/citation]

although a good idea, most people who would be buying the netbook probably arent tech savvy enough to install xp without a CD drive... but yea, awesome idea. im thinking of doing exactly what you said.

ubuntuconvert

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Why stunt the performance with XP ?
This device is meant for Web browsing, listening to music and a bit of Word processing.
I think most users would easily adapt to using Ubuntu for these applications.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
The Mobile Internet version sounds exactly like what a netbook should be, pricewise, but with impressive specs. Are there no other hardware differences between that package and the XP version than the better RAM/HDD space? Does it lack the "prettified" casing?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I love HP.
Most new releases are quite a bit more expensive.
I am no fan of the Atom in any way, but hey, I still use a 1.6GHz celeron every now and then.

I'd likely use xubuntu (for just being less resource intensive than ubuntu). I could switch it over to XP myself, but I feel as if ubuntu variants work well enough. Hell, my desktop still runs 1GB of ram. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.