Zone 2 Setup

James_1500

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN1070. I successfully set up the Main Zone with a speaker configuration of 6.0 (includes an extra rear surround speaker). I also hooked up outdoor speakers for Zone 2. The problem is that I am not having success with playing each zone independently (i.e. a movie in Main Zone and music in Zone 2). When I turn on Zone 2 and play music, the Main Zone automatically switches to the same, as opposed to maintaining what it was originally playing. Please advise.

Solution
You are correct James_1500 that when you set the Zone 2 as priority it should shut down the surround back speakers. Sometimes the programmer that wrote the software and the writer of the manual are not in sync.
Usually you have to select the zone 2 source differently than zone 1. The manual should specify. Also on some receivers digital sources are not converted to analog for zone 2 use.
I think the problem is that you are running 6 channels in the main zone. The receiver only has 7 channels and you need two for the zone 2 output. That why it switches both zones to music.
You will need to back down to 5.0 in the main zone or add an amplifier to drive the remote speakers. You may need to use the zone 3 line level outputs for the amp.

James_1500

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

James_1500

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

So, this is how the speakers are configured:

Front A: Front R and Front L Speakers
Center: Front Center Speaker
Surround/Zone 3: Surround R and Surround L Speakers
Surround Back/Bi-Amp/Front High/Front B: Rear Center Surround Speaker (connected to L per manual)
Zone 2: Outdoor Speakers

The instruction manual says, "You can only enable the SPEAKERS ZONE 2 terminals if you set [SURROUND BACK/ZONE 2 Priority] in (Speaker Settings) to [ZONE 2 Terminals], and turn on the ZONE 2 power."

My understanding is that when you turn on ZONE 2 and select ZONE 2 as the Priority, it automatically turns off the Surround Back Speakers. If this is correct, and the Surround Back Speakers are turned off, then it will still exceed the number of speakers being used?

Goose66

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
I am also having problems with Zone 2 audio and wanted to see if we are having the same issue. When you say "play music" in Zone 2, are you playing Bluetooth or Airplay? If you set the Zone 2 source to "Bluetooth," "Home Network," or "Music Services" (and I would assume "USB" as well but I haven't tested) and then initiate audio to the unit from Bluetooth or AirPlay, it seems to switch the Main Zone to that source and then the Zone 2 source goes blank in the GUI. I can hear the music in Zone 2 and the Main Zone. If I change the Main Zone back to an input (such as SAT/Cable), Zone 2 playback stops. I can't figure out how to get music that's not from one of the three analog inputs to play in Zone 2 while a completely different source plays in the Main Zone.

James_1500

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

You are correct James_1500 that when you set the Zone 2 as priority it should shut down the surround back speakers. Sometimes the programmer that wrote the software and the writer of the manual are not in sync.
Usually you have to select the zone 2 source differently than zone 1. The manual should specify. Also on some receivers digital sources are not converted to analog for zone 2 use.

Solution