ZoneAlarm Using ''Scareware'' to Sell Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
ZoneAlarm's "GeorgeV" said that the pop-up is merely information about a new virus, and that it does not indicate that the user's system is infected.

Bull. They know exactly how the layman will react to such a pop-up. Just because there are computer illiterates out there does not give companies, companies that claim to be protecting them, the right to shuck 'em.

G

I migrated to Comodo once I moved to Vista 64 (now Windows 7 x64) since ZA didn't support 64-bit systems. Still use it and recommend it as an excellent free FW+AV package.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
ZA was never a good free firewall. Almost ten years ago, it was suspected to be at least malware and certainly bloat-ware. The built-in Windows firewalls are very good, and shouldn't be replaced by normal users with other software firewalls, anyway.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
This kind of shit should be illegal under international law and punishable with prinson sentences in complying countries, and treated as an act of aggression to the countries of the UN for any country to house someone doing this absoloute scamming shit!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah... this is free software that people are using. Free, as in, someone else spent money developing it and now other people are getting to use it for free. You don't like pop-ups? Buy something, or use the free firewall that ships with Windows.

If you gave some people a brick of solid gold, they would complain that it was too heavy.

Did I mention it was free?

forrestsun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
It's about time microsoft does something to cover their own OS, instead of relying on third-party like zonealarm to do the work. We have to admit that there are tons of users that just want to use their computer for simple tasks without worrying about which programs being blocked when etc. These nasty tactics will eventually drive people off to other options. My supervisor was one, got a malware, too tired to use windows computer anymore, switched to Mac all at once.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Quote[/nom]"So I get this pop-up when I started my computer. I'm used to malware trying this ... junk," said one consumer on the ZoneAlarm forums. "Now I understand that Check Point wants to advertise its other products, but when did they start using these stupid tactics. You may just finally push me into buying a firewall product--from someone else."[/citation]
And the folks at ZoneAlarm care about you no longer freeloading off of their hard work because... ???

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Who here is glad that Norton Internet Suite comes with your Comcast Internet even if you are NOT glad you have Comcast?!? (Sorry, I have no choice but to go comcast!)

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]forrestsun[/nom]It's about time microsoft does something to cover their own OS, instead of relying on third-party like zonealarm to do the work. We have to admit that there are tons of users that just want to use their computer for simple tasks without worrying about which programs being blocked when etc. These nasty tactics will eventually drive people off to other options. My supervisor was one, got a malware, too tired to use windows computer anymore, switched to Mac all at once.[/citation]

Your remark is, bluntly, ignorant.

Microsoft Security Essentials
Windows Firewall

Both developed by Microsoft to protect your data.
After set-up, both are quiet and transparent in use.

Guess what OSX does when you install a program or update the OS?

It asks you, at least, if you actually want to install a program,
and requires a password for updates.

This is almost exactly what Windows Vista and 7 does, under similar
circumstances.

I don't know what to tell you other than those truths.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Who here is glad that Norton Internet Suite comes with your Comcast Internet even if you are NOT glad you have Comcast?!? (Sorry, I have no choice but to go comcast!)[/citation]

Another crap product that is bloated and a nightmare to completely uninstall.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
how about comodo, its a good firewall and if you want to you can use there antivirus as well

it is easy to use it is also a hips and any part can easily be disabled by right clicking the icon in the icon section at bottem right

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]Another crap product that is bloated and a nightmare to completely uninstall.[/citation]

Norton. The only program whose uninstaller actually needs another uninstaller, which you get at Norton. I HATE Norton...

Status
Not open for further replies.