Zune Services: Next Stop, Cell Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think its great software. I just wish they would step up the zune pass to include video as well as music. To be able to watch all the videos and listen to all the music i want on my zune, pc, and xbox would be awesome.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I love the Zune software, and I would like it to find it's way onto a phone. It would be the best of both worlds. Only time will tell though if our wishes actually come true.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]microsoft shoud put out a zune phone and have the ability to play games on it like the iphone. all they have to do is just use the xbox live arcade games.[/citation]
They'd have to port them, or at the very least recompile (if they have the source or the company that made it is willing and able). But yeah, that would rock to have mobile XBL arcade games!
[citation][nom]adewolf[/nom]Why don't they ditch the portable Winblows on smart phones for this.[/citation]As the article states, Zune is a music and video service. They still need an OS to run it on, and Windows Mobile isn't bad.

If I could install Zune on a WM 7 phone, I'd certainly consider it. I would like a WM platform coupled with a PowerVR SGX like the Pre and the 3GS. It's darn quick for a ultra-low-power chip.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Both the Zune and Windows Mobile are based on Windows CE. Aside from the possible hardware requirements for the Zune interface (Tegra) it seems like it'd be really easy to move it over to WinMo as a new media interface, or possibly one for the whole phone.

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Windows based mobile devices suffer from long boot up time. Windows CE is too big of an OS for mobile devices. Too much overhead is requiered to support windows in mobile application.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]Err... what's "Hump Day"? Is that like a national holiday promoting sex?[/citation]

I'm going to assume you seriously don't know and tell you that Hump Day is a euphemism for Wednesday, which is at the middle of the work week. For most working people, Monday is like starting at the bottom of the hill, you work and work until Wednesday to get to the top of the hill, and then you're "over the hump", so to speak, for the rest of the week, which you sort of just coast through because you're excited that the weekend is close.

Aren't idioms such fun? /sarcasm

On a somewhat unrelated note, Jane's vocabulary makes me laugh and I think I will start using British terms for everything just to confuse people.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
@ jecht
Yes Jane's articles get me through the work day, something in them always makes me laugh

Back to the article: I would love a "Zune Phone" but i do understand that there isn't a proper OS for it yet. What about the very basic version of Windows 7 (can't remember what it was called)that was designed for netbooks though?

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Tom's[/nom]Director of Communications for Microsoft’s TV, Video and Music Business who says Microsoft is considering porting the Zune software and services to other platforms, including Apple’s[/citation]
Good luck getting it through Apples *cough* "Quality Assurance" *cough* program for iPhone.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]jecht[/nom]On a somewhat unrelated note, Jane's vocabulary makes me laugh and I think I will start using British terms for everything just to confuse people.[/citation]

Interestingly enough, I didn't know what Hump Day was until one of the lads in the US office said it to me and I threatened to file a sexual harassment suit... Uh, oops?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]theLaminator[/nom]@ jechtYes Jane's articles get me through the work day, something in them always makes me laughBack to the article: I would love a "Zune Phone" but i do understand that there isn't a proper OS for it yet. What about the very basic version of Windows 7 (can't remember what it was called)that was designed for netbooks though?[/citation]

Oh no! Don't start that. Now I'll feel mildly responsible if I can't find it in my heart to be semi-entertaining. Sigh, such a burden you have bestowed upon me.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
depends, If it means I can write programs using c# and xna freely without having to pay stupid subscription fees, and then can freely distribute them to anyone without having to go through a STUPID app store. then i'll take 8!

oh... but then I read "Zune is a music and video service from Microsoft. Period."

pass...

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]jecht[/nom]I'm going to assume you seriously don't know and tell you that Hump Day is a euphemism for Wednesday, which is at the middle of the work week. For most working people, Monday is like starting at the bottom of the hill, you work and work until Wednesday to get to the top of the hill, and then you're "over the hump", so to speak, for the rest of the week, which you sort of just coast through because you're excited that the weekend is close.[/citation]

Thanks for explaining. I really didn't know as I never heard that term before.

Status
Not open for further replies.