Zynga to Launch Its Own Gaming Platform This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
One day Facebook will go the way of Myspace. Companies like Zynga should do what they can to not be seen as a FB company and die as well. I just hope the consequences do not cause hard feelings between the two companies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]One day Facebook will go the way of Myspace. Companies like Zynga should do what they can to not be seen as a FB company and die as well. I just hope the consequences do not cause hard feelings between the two companies.[/citation]

I don't think it will go down like you want, firs Myspace went down (if memory serves me right) because it ended up as a great place to catch a virus. There isn't that much customization on Facebook, so I don't see that kind of exudes happening. Facebook is also a convenient way for friends, family and organizations to keep in touch. I have family and friends spanning Asia, the US and the gulf. Facebook is the easiest way to keep tabs on people spanning so many time zones.

Until there is a better tool to keep in touch with friends and family across multiple continents, I don't see Facebook dying.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I see people use facebook, and it's usually a way to air greivances publicly, although hilarious it is quite sad.

I would probably still use it if it was Alumni only and they didn't let the joe public in (more to the point, if they had a test to stop mentally deficient people joining)

Though I guess that wouldn't make much money.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]I don't think it will go down like you want, firs Myspace went down (if memory serves me right) because it ended up as a great place to catch a virus. There isn't that much customization on Facebook, so I don't see that kind of exudes happening. Facebook is also a convenient way for friends, family and organizations to keep in touch. I have family and friends spanning Asia, the US and the gulf. Facebook is the easiest way to keep tabs on people spanning so many time zones. Until there is a better tool to keep in touch with friends and family across multiple continents, I don't see Facebook dying.[/citation]
I think you may have misunderstood me. Nothing is forever especially when seen through the eyes of the fickle public. Eventually something else will come along that will unseat FB and when that happens it would be better to be a company that spans the web instead of being seen as attached to a failing company.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]I think you may have misunderstood me. Nothing is forever especially when seen through the eyes of the fickle public. Eventually something else will come along that will unseat FB and when that happens it would be better to be a company that spans the web instead of being seen as attached to a failing company.[/citation]
That might happen one day, but for now I hardly believe that multi-billion-worth Facebook is a "failing company". In this world, milking the cow while they can is the right thing to do.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have Zynga blocked now. All their games require an arbitrary number of "friends" in order to progress. I use Facebook much as Khimera does, keeping up with family and friends all over the country (and some in Europe and Asia), and a few issues that interest me. If I want to play casual games with random players, I can go to Yahoo Spades or something similar, enjoy some pickup games, then leave. When I leave, I won't be forever hounded by requests, or notified every time someone bids a Nil. If I were adept enough at shooters to play them online, I'm sure I could find a server and play there too. Remember, Zynga's biggest harvest isn't virtual crops, it's cattle to be herded into stores by advertisers.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]I don't think it will go down like you want, firs Myspace went down (if memory serves me right) because it ended up as a great place to catch a virus. There isn't that much customization on Facebook, so I don't see that kind of exudes happening. Facebook is also a convenient way for friends, family and organizations to keep in touch. I have family and friends spanning Asia, the US and the gulf. Facebook is the easiest way to keep tabs on people spanning so many time zones. Until there is a better tool to keep in touch with friends and family across multiple continents, I don't see Facebook dying.[/citation]

When you take the average public into account, "better tool to keep in touch" translates into "A more flashy and stylish tool".

Status
Not open for further replies.