Any way to track/re-activate previous cell number when it comes available?

Apr 13, 2024
Hello. My wife recently changed jobs and had to turn in her work (ATT) cellular phone (and lose her contact number). She works on commission and it would be really excellent if she could possibly get that number back as it isn’t likely to be reused by the company she works for. I realize it may be unavailable for a while but is there any way to track it and scoop it up if it were to come available? I know it’s a long shot but she had this number for a really long time so I just wanted to ask. Is there a better forum/sub for this question? Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is no way to do that, that I am aware of.

One possibility is to request the company transfer responsibility from them to her. That is something that can be done.

However, if she is viewed as competing with her old company, I would not imagine them working with you.

Apr 13, 2024
Yeah we don’t expect them to give it to her for competitive reasons. I just thought there might be some way to track it and be the first to get it when it becomes available. Through number barn or something. I don’t know how all this works at the deeper levels of cell number policy. They’ll (her old employer) probably deactivate the number for privacy/security reasons so it will likely eventually pop back on the system as available.

Apr 13, 2024
If anyone is wondering in the future, they (ATT) said it was possible but unlikely that we could try and get the number the day it becomes available 90 days after it goes inactive. I doubt it will work but will update this thread if it does. Thank you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If anyone is wondering in the future, they (ATT) said it was possible but unlikely that we could try and get the number the day it becomes available 90 days after it goes inactive. I doubt it will work but will update this thread if it does. Thank you.
How will you know it is available? That is the question, isn't it?

My experience has been that phones get re-assigned to new employees, that includes the old number. Previous customers will call the old number and speak to the new employee (sort of what you are hoping to do).