Question I am so "untechnical"

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
My son fixed me up with streaming and I cut the cord but I no longer have 6 internet access, only WiFi through the Comcast/Xfinity modem(?). Lately, the picture goes black and reloads to the spot where it went blank. This used to happen once in a while but now it's 4-5 times a day, sometimes 4-5 times in an hour. Why does this happen?

Also, some commercials are so loud compared to the program that I have to mute it until back to the program. I can't change the volume in the settings. Why?

Do I need something else to stop these things from happening? If so, point me in the cheapest but sturdiest item for someone on SS who can only afford a haircut once a year or am I dreaming and there is no hope .

I hope this was clear to everyone. It isn't to me. After working 30 years, 16 hours a day/7 days a week including holidays, I could never keep up with technology so I'm so green, I could be mistaken for a house plant. LOL

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When is the last time you restarted your Comacst/Xfinity device? Buffering, what you are describing, can often be cleared up by such a restart.

How many devices are connected to your home wireless network? Are you streaming with a TV or some other device (like a PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet)?

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
When is the last time you restarted your Comacst/Xfinity device? Buffering, what you are describing, can often be cleared up by such a restart.

How many devices are connected to your home wireless network? Are you streaming with a TV or some other device (like a PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet)?
I restarted the device a couple months ago. I restart the 1 TV a lot. I have 2 phones, 2 computers (desktop & laptop), and 2 TVs connected, but only 1 TV, laptop and the 2 phones during the day. The desktop and 1 TV are in another room and I am the only one who uses those. At night 2 TVs, desktop and phones are used. We don't use the phones like normal people. We don't make or receive calls on them. They're mainly for emergency.

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
I couldn't find my original information but when I went online it said my WiFi is 150Mbps for $68/mo. Isn't that expensive for so little? But do I really need more than that? Everything loads and downloads pretty fast and TV seems normal rate.

I just have a bit of aggravation when I turn on the other TV later in the day and the same programs don't match in picture/voice. One runs behind a bit. LOL

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I couldn't find my original information but when I went online it said my WiFi is 150Mbps for $68/mo. Isn't that expensive for so little? But do I really need more than that? Everything loads and downloads pretty fast and TV seems normal rate.

I just have a bit of aggravation when I turn on the other TV later in the day and the same programs don't match in picture/voice. One runs behind a bit. LOL
That lag is a streaming thing. I find annoying as well when it happens.

Your speed, while lower than many use, should be fine for the needs you have stated.

Do you know if your wireless devices are connecting at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

5Ghz is generally faster, but doesn't penetrate walls or cover distance as well. 2.4Ghz is slower but the opposite, better with walls and distance.

Can you post the make/model of the Xfinity device itself?

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
It's a Motorola MT7711 modem, substitute for Xfinity modem. On the box, it says DOCSIS 3.0 24x8 modem with built-in AC1900 WiFi Gigabit Router. The WiFi can be 2.4 Mbps or 5G. Under the properties, it says 2.4 Ghz.

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
It's about 10 feet away from the TV in the office. I would say it's another 5 feet away from the living room TV. It sits on top of my desktop in the office but I can't get it any closer to either TV. I don't have any problem with the laptop in the living room or the phones.

Sharmick

Estimable
Feb 10, 2020
Is it close enough to connect the TV to your router via ethernet cable? That would solve the buffering issue on that device.
No, it isn't but the funny thing is, the buffering, if that's what it is, has stopped. Maybe Xfinity was working on the network but it's all "quiet" for now. BTW, I'm thinking of going back to cable for one TV since hubby refuses to even try to change channels with streaming. Says he can't figure it out and that's frustrating to me, running back and forth from one room to the other to change his channels. I don't like what he watches.

Thank you, everyone, for the help.