News Interest in EV trucks like F150 Lightning is plummeting — here's why

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mlambert890

Honorable
Mar 5, 2018
They can't tow in any feasible, practical way. It took awhile for this to really sink in because the manufacturers and the media that cover EV kept the fact hidden for as long as they could. Motor trend truck of the year! Okay. Now Motor trend regularly publishes articles about the horrors of towing with it. How did that happen?? EV trucks cannot tow, regardless of their impressive tow ratings. For a wide swath of truck owners, telling us to buy a $70,000 electric truck (or in some cases, $100,000) that will barely make it past your town's city limits (assuming there is no grade) with your travel trailer or boat is a kick in the teeth.
Leaving aside that this is extreme exaggeration (can't make it past towns city limits), there is also the fact that data shows 75% of pickup owners tow once a year *or less*, yet still spend $80k on giant new gas guzzling trucks every year.

Your reasoning is valid for the 25% of non fleet pickups that actually get used as intended. The "wide swath" need a different excuse though, sorry.

mlambert890

Honorable
Mar 5, 2018
I’m not sure if battery technology is mature enough to go all-in with an EV. I just had to replace a new 12v battery in my truck yesterday, it was only a month old with less than 500 miles on it. Half the cost of owning an EV is in the battery pack. You lose your EV battery and that is like having to replace your gas engine because of a bad cylinder head or crankshaft.
This is false. For the author of the article, one look at the FUD and misinformation in these comments is the actual answer to your story.

Leaving aside that engines and transmissions do grenade, as do all of the other complex systems involved in combusting fuel, and that on the way to end of life they consume more and more and more expensive and toxic fluids, it's just plain wrong that batteries on an EV work like cell phones.

Individual cells can be repaired and on the very oldest EVs (10 years+) this is already happening .This isn't shocking news to anyone with actual first hand knowledge and experience, it's just surprising to those who exclusively seek out anti EV confirmation bias.

mlambert890

Honorable
Mar 5, 2018
No, I wasn't tired at all. The claim comes from the Edmunds report about consumer demand. From readers who own and use pickup trucks, they've expressed the main reason why the F150 Lightning isn't selling as well is because 1. it's expensive and 2. it can't match the towing power of ICE F150s.

This is why I mention that Ford should've started small, rather than leaning into a $50K F150. I, for one, never thought I'd ever be interested in a pickup truck -- let alone one that's all-electric. But it's now something I'd consider after test driving the F150 Lightning. I just wish they all weren't all priced like luxury cars.
75% of ICE 150 owners never tow. This is fact.

The best selling variant of the ICE 150 is $65k. This is fact.

The average F150 owner drives less than 50 miles a day. This is fact.

70% of F150 owners have a garage. This is fact.

For the small minority of F150 buyers who spend under $50k and do tow regularly, sure the Edmunds data is valid. Either that's who Edmunds surveyed, or the survey respondents are delusional and/or lying since the actual usage data on the F150 isn't a mystery. That's why Ford assumed it would sell. They know a huge percentage of sales are pavement princesses and assumed the Lightning is perfect for that kind of buyer (it is). They just underestimated the intensity of the anti EV culture war psychosis.

The real reason the Lightning is in trouble is that the vast majority of F150 owners are "culture warriors" who consider combusting fuel a religious experience. Sorry, but that's the truth even if it's uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: bp_968
Apr 4, 2024
They can't tow in any feasible, practical way. It took awhile for this to really sink in because the manufacturers and the media that cover EV kept the fact hidden for as long as they could. Motor trend truck of the year! Okay. Now Motor trend regularly publishes articles about the horrors of towing with it. How did that happen?? EV trucks cannot tow, regardless of their impressive tow ratings. For a wide swath of truck owners, telling us to buy a $70,000 electric truck (or in some cases, $100,000) that will barely make it past your town's city limits (assuming there is no grade) with your travel trailer or boat is a kick in the teeth.
According to surveys of F150 owners, a pretty large majority of owners rarely or never tow anything.
I am an F150 Lightning owner. It is my 4th Ford truck and my favorite. I use it for normal passenger use cases and light hauling. I have used it for all of the uses that I ever had in the past and I dont feel limited in any way. I regularly use it for decently long trips (160 mile one way trips) and it works awesome in the snow (especially with my second set of snow tires/wheels)

It is my most favorite Ford truck so far, and it doesnt hurt that I can accelerate faster than nearly all cars I encounter in my day/day driving.

I think the cost and the current state of loan interest rates (coupled with the lingering supply chain issues from the pandemic) that has caused some slowing in electric car demand. (Although my 2018 Ford F150 ICE truck was $85k !!! so i think the cost alone as a factor is a little exaggerated)

Apr 4, 2024
75% of ICE 150 owners never tow. This is fact.

The best selling variant of the ICE 150 is $65k. This is fact.

The average F150 owner drives less than 50 miles a day. This is fact.

70% of F150 owners have a garage. This is fact.

For the small minority of F150 buyers who spend under $50k and do tow regularly, sure the Edmunds data is valid. Either that's who Edmunds surveyed, or the survey respondents are delusional and/or lying since the actual usage data on the F150 isn't a mystery. That's why Ford assumed it would sell. They know a huge percentage of sales are pavement princesses and assumed the Lightning is perfect for that kind of buyer (it is). They just underestimated the intensity of the anti EV culture war psychosis.

The real reason the Lightning is in trouble is that the vast majority of F150 owners are "culture warriors" who consider combusting fuel a religious experience. Sorry, but that's the truth even if it's uncomfortable.
I think interest rates are a factor too. I love my lightning... best truck that I have owned.

Apr 4, 2024
I am 100% for EVs. However, I'm trying to uncover if they're practical. I really don't like the idea of paying for gas, but at the same time, I've found roadblocks that could prevent me from going the all-EV route first.
For instance:
If you dont have the ability to charge at home, I would not get an EV. Charging my lightning at home is one the BEST best qualities of the EV.

Apr 4, 2024
I am 100% for EVs. However, I'm trying to uncover if they're practical. I really don't like the idea of paying for gas, but at the same time, I've found roadblocks that could prevent me from going the all-EV route first.
I have owned my lightning for 18 months... what roadblocks have you found for yourself?

Reactions: bp_968

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
There is a concerted and VERY widespread and sophisticated PR campaign, probably coordinated by the membership of API and related organizations, to turn the public away from purchasing EVs. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an article critical of some aspect of EVs, from pointing out that some manufacturers overstate range, or some public charging ports malfunction, or the travails of the poor lithium or cobalt miner, or the horror of range anxiety or battery lifespan and cost of replacement, or how much you'd miss the rumble of a V8 or the visceral thrill of the stick shift, or about Elon Musk's latest outrage, or how unpopular EVs are (so they MUST be bad, right?).

Many of these arguments particularly appeal to those manly men devoted to their pickup trucks. "Hey, you don't want to be seen driving a GOLF CART around, do you?"

Now, mind you, the purpose of these articles is to discourage the purchase of truly SUPERIOR products, ones that no longer rely on the oil industry's wares. EVs are faster, cleaner, more reliable and MUCH cheaper to operate than ICE vehicles, provide the convenience of "refueling" in your driveway while you sleep, and allow designers a freedom they could only dream of with ICE vehicles by removing any need to accommodate a big engine, transmission, drive shaft and gas tank.

The fact is, most of the people who purchase EVs love them and would NEVER go back.
Amen 100%. We just bought a 2024 model Y LR for around 36,500$ after rebate. It was cheaper then almost any new hybrid I saw and *way* more fun to drive. The author mentions the rav4 prime but good luck finding one in stock last time I checked. And they start around 44k and no rebate so after a couple options end up costing 10k more than the tesla.

In the 1600 miles we have owned it ive spent roughly 40$ or less on "fuel" charging it up at my house. Our G35x (a great car btw) would have cost 280-300$ in fuel for the same milage. By the 4000 mile mark we will have paid for the charger and the parts and cable to install it. After that it's just super cheap fuel.

And on a trip you can charge 100 miles of range in 10-12 minutes. So 200 miles in 20-25 minutes and then get 3 hours of range. Personally I stop every 3 hours anyway. Blood clots are bad and I have a small bladder lol. It does add some time to a longer trip, but considering how much cheaper the drive costs you have to decide how much that delay is worth to you.

Id say the biggest problem right now for car sales is the interest rates. 6-7% for a new car and 10-13% for a used one (with excellent credit over 700). It's insane. Im glad we had the cash to mostly pay it off, but I feel sorry for anyone needing to buy an older used car and finance it at 10%+ that's insane!

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
EVs are luxury cars, which I hate. Over time, it'll be easier (and hopefully faster) to charge them.
The model Y charges around 100 miles in 10 minutes. If your normal routine is 1000 mile drives with marathon bladder busting 400 mile legs between stops then yes, an EV probably isn't for you. But for 95% of us who drive 100 miles or less in a average day the EV is amazing. It's insanely cheap to drive when charged at home and I never need to stop at a gas station. Plug in at home and it's done. It's like having a gas station in your garage.

I've done a 350 mile 5-6 hour trip 3 times in teslas through western Kentucky and there are plenty of chargers and it's an easy anxiety free drive.

The EV allows me to do so many things a ICE can't. I can heat it up or cool it off from my phone while getting dressed and it's ready when I get in the car. If I want to go car camping I can sleep in the back (the model Y lays perfectly flat and easily fits a 6ft tall man). They even make a custom mattress for it. And if it's hot or cold I just leave the climate control running and it keeps you cool in the summer or warm in the winter and if it's fully charged will do it for many days. If you find a camping spot with a 110 or RV plug you can go indefinitely.

I loved my ICE sports cars. I really hope we never see ICE sports cars go completely away, it would be a sad day. The sound of a turbo boxter 4 or 6 (subaru and porsche) is just a lovely thing. Running that WRX STI up to the shift timer and hearing the engine roar and the timer squeel telling you to shift *now* is something almost religious. But for a car that you need to live with an EV just has tremendous advantages.

If my circumstances change in the next few years I might buy a nice ICE sports car to hang onto before they maybe all disappear. Or I might buy a used model S Plaid and enjoy the ground based rocket car. It will be a tough call.

Apr 6, 2024
EVs are not only extremely expensive when compared to their ICE equivalents but Insurance rates are significantly higher also. The charging infrastructure isn't and never will be good for them here in America. Repair costs (assuming the insurance company doesn't decide to total an EV instead) are significantly higher than a comparable ICE vehicle and that's assuming you can find someone willing to repair them at all. Towing with an EV truck means giving up at least half or more range. Forget using the AC or Heater in them during the Colder or Hotter days of the year because your range will drop quickly. Long charging times and that's when you can actually find a charger that is available and actually working correctly. EV trucks are about 60-80% heavier than their ICE cousins simply because of the Battery Pack. This causes fast tire wear. Plus the whole "I'm helping to save the planet by driving an EV" is a myth. The manufacture of EV vehicles uses tons more CO2 than the same ICE vehicle. The mining ⛏️ of the lithium takes a horrendous toll on the ground where it's done, it's performed by basically slave labor in mines in third world countries. Do your research and try to disprove anything I wrote. Oh, and the disposal of the batteries after they are used up is a massive problem. Not to mention the resale value on a used EV is considerably less than an ICE vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator: